We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Airport to Rosarito

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Louisiana
1 post
Save Topic
San Diego Airport to Rosarito

What is the best way to get from the San Diego Airport to Rosarito without having to walk across the border?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Airport to Rosarito

In my opinion, the best way is to rent a car at the airport. You'll enjoy Rosarito more if you have a car; it will be much, much more convenient not to have to lug your suitcases from one mode of transportation to another; and it probably won't cost any more than trolley to the border, walking across, and getting a taxi or bus to Rosarito. If you don't rent a car, it just isn't very convenient.

san diego,ca.
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Airport to Rosarito

Living in San Diego you can do any of the following:

from the SD airport take the airport bus to downtown/american plaza and then catch the blue trolley line to San Ysidro and then at San Ysidro get the Mexicoach which is about $15-20pp to Rosarito. Or rent a car from the SD Airport and take 5 sounty to Tijuana border, but please make sure you get Mexican insurance because most car rental agency do not allow you to take their cars into Mexico. Check rental car policy. But look into the San Diego transit website which is MTS.COM I think and also check website for Mexicoach (it's a red bus) and check their schedule for getting to Rosarito. Have a good trip. Hope this will help.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Airport to Rosarito

Here are a few numbers of rental companies that allow their cars to cross into Mexico--and a couple of other thoughts.

Are you aware that if you choose an off-airport location, you will save quite a significant amount per day on the rental? When renting for a week, you will save many times the cab fare to pick up the car, and some of them have free customer pickup and return.

The following is a list from the San Diego phone book of companies advertising that they allow rental cars to go to Mexico:

Advantage: 1-800-574-6000

Avis: 1-800-831-2847 Airport office 619-688-5000

California Baja, Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-445-2600 www.cabaja.com

email info@cabaja.com

Courtesy Auto Rental (off airport): 619-426-3433 or 619-424-8606 www.courtesyauto.com

Fuller Ford Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-656-3370 www.thinkfuller.com--I'm pretty sure they have an airport pick up service, and I've heard their rates are really good.

SouthWest Car Rental (off airport, but has free pickup & return): 619-429-9040

airport location number: 619-298-7544

Rental Image (off airport, but free customer pickup and return; however, it may be too far from the airport to be practical; I'm not sure of the location of this one): 1-800-725-5102

West Coast Rent A Car (off airport--free customer pickup): 619-544-0606

The insurance cost will be significant when renting a car to drive to Mexico. The company will require you to purchase Mexican 3rd party liability insurance, and that will add approximately $10.00 a day to the cost of renting. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FAIL TO INFORM THE RENTAL COMPANY THAT THE CAR WILL BE GOING TO MEXICO: if the car is not o.k’ed to go into Mexico and there is an accident, you will have violated the terms of the rental agreement, and you will be strictly on your own. The Mexican police do not care whether the vehicle is insured or not, but they care immensely whether you have 3rd party liability insurance or not. 3rd party liability covers damage you do to other people or their property. If you do not have 3rd party liability insurance, you will be taken to jail immediately and will remain there until the police are satisfied that you can pay for any damage you may have caused. When you call about the rental, verify that you can buy Mexican insurance for only the days you will actually be in Mexico. You don't want to pay Mexican insurance for the entire rental period.

A WAY TO CUT COSTS FOR RENTING IN MEXICO.

When renting IN Mexico, Avis Rental Company includes the cost of 3rd party liability in the rate they quote for the rental. They also accept your credit card insurance for coverage on the vehicle. Therefore, if you are willing to allow your credit card insurance to cover the vehicle, the rate Avis quotes is the total, except for tax and gas. A small economy car rented in Tijuana is $25.00-$30.00 a day. As far as I know, no other car rental company includes the mandatory 3rd party liability in the rate they quote. You can find verification on the Avis web site under rental policies for Mexico. Of course, you have to manage transportation to the border and to the Avis desk.

It still seems to me that the easiest way is to just rent a car from the airport or from one of the off-airport sites and drive.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Airport to Rosarito

Michele Herbison posted this taxi information a while back, and you may find it helpful. (I think rates may have gone up a bit since then, but I don't know.)

"Perhaps I am too late but this is still good info.

We always use the Rosarito Yellow Cab, they are very helpful and polite and their rates are printed on the back of their business cards.

1st mile $4 dls

San Isidro Border $20 dls

Puerto Neuvo $15 dls (from Rosarito)

Bada Bing$7 dls

Ensenada $70dls

They also make trips to La Bufadora, Mexicali, San Felipe, etc.

You can reach them at 661-527-4883 Mexico line

or nextel 152*145133*4"

In my opinion, taxi fares add up rather quickly to the price of renting a car, and they are definitely not as convenient.

5. Re: San Diego Airport to Rosarito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 04, 2009