We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Rosarito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Sunshine State
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

We'll be renting a car for our upcoming San Diego trip next month. For 2-1/2 days of our 8 day adventure, we'll be travelling to the Rosarito-Ensenada area. I understand AVIS offers car rental insurance...do other firms allow their rental cars into Mexico? Also, can Mexican insurance be purchased for only those days actually in Mexico or will we have to have it for the entire rental period?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

Hi, again, did I send you the list of San Diego car rental companies that allow their cars to go into Mexico?

All rental companies require you to take insurance to take the car into Mexico. (When you rent the car in Mexico rather than in San Diego, Avis includes the cost of the manditory 3rd party Mexican liability insurance in the quote they give you--they don't include it in the U.S., but it is still requirred. Avis requires it and so do all other car rental companies.) The Mexican police are concerned only with the 3rd party liability insurance; they don't care whether the vehicle is insured or not. However, of course the car rental company does care.

Call the customer service department for your credit card and find out how insurance coverage works in Mexico. For our cards, the credit card company's insurance becomes primary in Mexico, provided you turn down the car rental company's insurance. If your credit card insurance will take effect in Mexico (if the car is actually rented in the U.S.), you MAY be able to persuade the rental company to let your credit card insurance cover the vehicle--I would printout the credit card company's insurance coverage and take it with me to the rental counter--obviously, only if it would apply--and make the case. It would save you a lot of money. But no matter what, you'll have to have Mexican 3rd party liability.

Talk to the Avis International Desk--not the regular rental desk--and find out where you can dowload the coverage/requirements/etc.

Anyway, sent me an email, and I'll email the list of San Diego companies back to you.

Pat (Pstreet1@aol.com)

The Sunshine State
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

Pat,

You're absolutely right. I reviewed the car rental email you sent previously and the companies were listed! For those interested, this said

The following is a list from the San Diego phone book of companies advertising that they allow rental cars to go to Mexico :

Advantage: 1-800-574-6000

Avis: 1-800-831-2847 Airport office 619-688-5000

California Baja, Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-445-2600 www.cabaja.com email info@cabaja.com

Courtesy Auto Rental (off airport): 619-426-3433 or 619-424-8606 www.courtesyauto.com

Fuller Ford Rent-a-Car (off airport): 619-656-3370 www.thinkfuller.com

SouthWest Car Rental (off airport, but has free pickup & return): 619-429-9040 airport location number: 619-298-7544

Rental Image (off airport, but free customer pickup and return; however, it may be too far from the airport to be practical; I'm not sure of the location of this one): 1-800-725-5102

West Coast Rent A Car (off airport--free customer pickup): 619-544-0606

Also, thanks for the tip on checking with the credit card company and bringing paperwork support.

Lee

3. Re: Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, March 10, 2008
California
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

Almost all San Diego rental car companies allow their cars into Mexico with the purchase of their insurance. I think it's Alamo that doesn't, but I'm not 100% sure. Avis is rather expensive, car & insurance. I've used both Dollar and Fox to go into Mexico. Both charge $25/day for insurance, so for me it's just a matter of which offers a better car rental rate -- check daily online because the rates change constantly. I think Avis is $30/day for insurance. Not a big deal if you're only there for a couple days, but I usually go for a week or more, so it adds up.

Ah, and you only need the Mexican insurance for the actual time that you'll be in Mexico, so you don't need it for your entire trip. Just let them know when you want the coverage to begin and end.

5. Re: Car Rental Companies Offering Mexican Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, September 22, 2009