We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Insurance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Diego
1 post
Save Topic
Car Rental Insurance

Will be vacationing over Thanksgiving on our first trip to Cabo. We are out at the Westin and after reading reviews, it appears it would be a good idea to rent a car. I checked on line and got a quote that was reasonable but am wondering about insurance. A friend says most US credit cards cover the car if you pay for it with the credit card. However, I have also noted references in Tripadvisor to be sure to get Mexican auto insurance.

Can anyone confirm that if you pay for your rental car in Mexico with a US credit card that you won't need to purchase Mexican car insurance.

Thanks

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,024 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Insurance

I would definitely check with your c.c. company. Most times it is still advisable to get the Mexican insurance. Much better safe than sorry. It's a small price to pay for the added comfort of reducing stress. Enjoy your stay, and if you get the chance, try the Cafe Santa Fe in Todos Santos for a wonderful meal, gracious service and beautiful surroundings. They are closed Tuesdays, and we always go for lunch to avoid driving at night. It is a wonderful little trip!