We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
141 posts
47 reviews
Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

Warning to anyone considering using thrifty, I would avoid at all costs. They are a bunch of crooks.

Had a pre-reservation, they told me about insurance which I accepted. Then they asked me to sign a blank accident form, "just in case I had an accident." I have never heard of such a form before, and besides it was all in Spanish. I refused and walked out and never rented anything.

They proceeded to charge my card $4200 dollars which I am now disputing with AMEX.

You have been warned!

Miz

Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
11. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

I wish I would have checked trip advisor before booking a car with Thirfty. Terrible service, arrogant counter person. I think they make up pricing as they go. I normally use National and I thought I would try Thirfty and now regret that decision.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
12. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

I rented National last time I was in Cabo 2 years ago. They were not a bed of roses either. Does anyone have a suggestion of a 'US Friendly' car rental from the airport? :(

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
13. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

I rented National last time I was in Cabo 2 years ago. They were not a bed of roses either. Does anyone have a suggestion of a 'US Friendly' car rental from the airport? :(

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
71,335 posts
132 reviews
14. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

Hi bill T

Here are the 3 forum favorites. Arrange in advance!

◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦

• Antonio Miranda. He is the manager at Cactus Car / Economy. Ask for an "insurance included TripAdvisor rate.” Located at the airport. It may be possible to arrange for delivery or pick up elsewhere; contact Antonio to ask.

AMiranda@CactusCar.com

www.CactusCar.com

• Dominic Macalusso. He is a local businessman who specializes in customer service. Will pick up or deliver anywhere; insurance & full tank of gasoline included. Cash or credit; folks rave about the personal service. Help available any time (lock yourself out, lose the key, get a flat tire, get lost on the way to Todos Santos, total the van in a rainstorm/flood, heated conversation with police, whatever.)

DomoSanLucas@prodigy.net.mx

http://DominicLosCabos.com/

• Luis Ceseña. He is the manager of Alamo at the airport. Ask for a TripAdvisor rate that includes required insurance. It is possible to drop in Cabo or SanJose; contact Luis to ask.

AeropuertoLosCabos@AlamoRentACar.com.mx

http://en.AlamoMexico.com.mx/

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
15. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

Thanks! I will try these three.

Regards,

Bill

1 post
16. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

I concur with all the messages in this thread. We ended up paying over 2x for our rental. I could have easily provided proof of insurance had I known prior to arrival this was required and that I was being set up for a bait-and-switch. Shame on me for being so trusting.

3 posts
17. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

Thrifty Car Rental at San Jose Los Cabos Airport is by far the worst experience I have ever had! I reserved a "mid-sized" car from American Airlines website for one week. In fact the print-out said due at rental counter "$87". The exact same story happened to us. We MUST purchase Required Mexican insurance which ranged from $150 - $350, depending on the deductible. What a shock to expect a rental of $87 due to over $500!! Then the mass array of salespeople in the driveway meet you at your car door to give you back $350 and other assorted excursions if you go to their 90 minute presentation. The 90 minute presentation ended up being 3 1/2 hrs and we got none of the money. They showed us the charge they had originally showed us and I finally agreed. I get home and they gave charged an additional $50 and now there is 2 more charges for "international transaction fee" and "interest for standard purchases" that totaled an additional $40. I wrote Thrifty and they said they would respond within 3 days. Nothing so far. I will dispute with my credit card now. Never ever again!!!

Bellevue, Washington
1 post
18. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

On 12/16/2014, I booked a 5 night Thrifty car rental in Los Cabos MX. When I arrived at the car counter (Thrifty MX) I showed the person helping me my ID, reservation and my email confirmation. They looked me up and told me to sign some paperwork in Spanish. Because I do not speak any Spanish what so ever, I asked him what the translation of the contract was and he told me that is was the same as my booked reservation.

On the day before my scheduled return, I called the Thrifty office and spoke with Guadalupe at the airport location asking her about extending my rental as I was very ill from the flu and was unable to fly. As stated in my reservation, the extra day fee is $7.90 per day which I confirmed. She said that it was not a problem and to just bring it back when I departed which was the 27th of December.

When I did return my car, I was left waiting for about 45 minutes with the employees telling me it will be just a minute. As my flight time approached a manager came up to me and wanted me to sign a bill of around $1300. I refused and I wanted to speak to corporate but my requests were denied. I told them I would only pay for my reservation price on the reservation I had in my hand. I then said I have to catch my flight and we may have to deal with this later. They then told me if I tried to leave they would call the police and they would hold me until the matter was figured out.

While I was being”held hostage” (as I could not leave because the threat as well as, there is no other way than the company shuttle to take you from their location to the airport) I finally agreed to sign under duress and wrote on the charge slip that I was being forced to sign as well as being forced under duress.

Thrifty recharged me at 6 times the rate per day of what ALREADY pre-paid.

I will head to the message and travel blogs to tell my story and see who else was robbed like me.

3 posts
19. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

After 3 months of searching and searching to get the "correct" people, Thrifty refunded anything over the original stated rental. I was pleasantly surprised.

3 posts
20. Re: Avoid Thrifty Car rental SJD Los Cabos airport

"For urgent requests, please contact 1-800-334-1705."