We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Concerns

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York, NY
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Concerns

Hello, My wife and I are planning a trip to Los Cabos (Not sure which part yet) and was wondering if anyone who's been there recently can let us know how safe it is to travel there? There's been growing concerns relating to drugs and violence in certain parts of Mexico and was wondering if it's affecting the resort areas as well. Would it be safe to rent a car and drive to local restaurants, or should we stick to the resorts? Thanks in advance.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,533 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety Concerns

Hi BullDog. Welcome to Trip Advisor.

This question has been raised several times recently, here in the Los Cabos forum as well as many other tourist destinations in Mexico. (Read thru the past few days of threads for more info.) The unrest is primarily around the border towns, hundreds of miles from the tourist towns. Mexico relies heavily on tourism, so the government will do everything possible to keep tourists happy and spending money.

Los Cabos is quite safe. You can walk the streets of Cabo or San Jose in the evening. (Of course, use the same guidelines you would when out & about in your own community ~ don't be falling down drunk, don't flash money, don't be "stupid.) The most dangerous characters are the timeshare salesmen congregated just before you exit the airport terminal; they want you to spend your wonderful vacation touring other resorts rather than enjoying the sun & fun.

In general, Los Cabos is Cabo San Lucas (active nightlife, best fishing, swimmable beach, many resorts, small downtown hotels, lots of restaurants), the Corridor (nice resorts, golf) and San Jose del Cabo (more authentic town, quieter, restaurants, not much nightlife, some fishing, no swimming, a few AI resorts including the most recommended Presidente.) As you research each area, be sure to post questions on the appropriate forum. This one receives posts from both the Cabo and the San Jose forums, but folks reading those forums cannot see your question here on the Los Cabos forum.

Last answer: renting a car is fine. Many of us prefer to stay close enough to town to walk, some prefer taxis so that they can drive, and some rent cars for the week to get everywhere.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety Concerns

The news has really been reporting a lot lately how unsafe it is to travel to Mexico and that they are advising spring break travelers to not head to Mexico. The violence is mostly in northern Mexico along the border with the US, and it's happening because Mexico is cracking down on the drug trade.

But like PacificNWFamily said - it's very safe in Cabo. I travel there alone, rent a car alone and have no problems. (It's been 3 months since my last trip.) I am careful, just like I am at home or when I travel in the states.

3. Re: Safety Concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, October 19, 2009