We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sick off local food?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
WA. State
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
sick off local food?

Do you all get sick eating the food in Mexico? I went to the health food store today and they suggested I take accidopholus, grapefruit seed extract, and charcoal tablets. Do you get along fine without taking anything? Someone also suggested I eat yogurt while down there.

~Cari

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
La Casona
$$$$, Seafood, Steakhouse
Vela
$$ - $$$, Italian, Seafood
Sunset Point
$$ - $$$, Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sick off local food?

Cari,

You are going to worry yourself sick! Definitely eat yogurt-the acidophilus (sp) in it is great for you. I don't remember where you are staying, but the good hotels are fine, as are the restaurants that have been suggested. I find most folks get sick from too much sun, not enough rest, and way too much alcohol. That can be a deadly combo.

I usually have yogurt every morning, but that is just because it is so good! We eat fruits, salad, you name it, and have not had a problem. In fact, I have never had a problem any place in Mexico. I just don't eat anything that looks suspicious-like street vendor food. We have even eaten in some of the little funky places that I would never venture into here, and been just fine. (I think that's why I don't buy meat at the markets there. Not that I want to cook on vacation, but it just doesn't look quite as good as here.) I have spoken with several folks from the states that either live there full time-or close to it, and they do just fine-shopping locally. They did say to only buy the top brand of tuna as the cheap kind tastes like cat food......

You remind me of myself on my first real trip to Mexico-Acapulco, Taxco and Mexico City! I even brushed my teeth with burbon at first-just to avoid the water. That was when bottled water was not available every where, and the purification systems were just getting put in a lot of places. Managed just fine!

Relax, and enjoy your vacation with your honey!

K

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sick off local food?

You are probably sick of hearing from me, but you sound so sweet, and since my "baby" is 30-I have this mother thing working. Have a great trip!

K

WA. State
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sick off local food?

KatD-You are the sweetie! Putting up w/ me & my never-ending worries! Hey, and how'd you know I'm 30?

Thanks a bunch,

Cari

p.s. I almost fainted when I read the post warning against Avis :-) This is killing me!

And on top of this, I'm fighting of a cold. My daughter has 2 horrible ear infections. I'm freaking out to leave my 2 kids. It's our first time ever leaving them. (They are 9 & 4) And my husband is constantly yapping in my ear about his fears of traveling because of terrorism & safety issues.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sick off local food?

Hi Cari,

We always used Avis. Had to return one car because of bad brakes, otherwise-all went well. Being a travel agent, I booked them myself, so had something gone wrong-I would have had to yell at myself!

Hope your children get well. Know the feeling of leaving them. I had to leave mine with a sitter and the older one had chicken pox......Day was in London, and I was headed to a Carib. cruise. All went just fine, except the little one got them for my return!

Just allow enough time for the security at the airport-that takes as long as the flight just about! I have quit worring about terrorism, etc., as it just doesn't do anything but cause stress. I just say a prayer and go.

(I actually thought you were about 24ish.........no particular reason!)

Relax, enjoy and get a good tan! Hope to hear all about your trip when we all return-safe and sound!

xoxo

WA. State
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sick off local food?

KatD-Thank you! You enjoy yourself. Maybe we'll see ya at that cafe in Todos Santos. It will be funny.......I'll be looking at everyone all week wondering if it is you. ;-)

Take care,

Cari

Mentioned in this post
Todos Santos
Todos Santos
Baja California Sur, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,371 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sick off local food?

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing-every cute couple will make me wonder! Have a great trip mi amiga.

K

sfo, ca
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sick off local food?

Cabo doesn't have many food problems in the winter high season, I would be careful during the slow and hot summer months, where food turnover is slow, and sauces can't be left out too long. Always smell the salsa and guacamole--those are your main culprit, because they are taken in and out of the fridge all afternoon, and made in bulk, that morning. If you go to a busy restaurant, you shouldn't have that problem, because salsa and guacamole are constantly being made.

Don't be afraid of the blended drinks--all are made with purified ice. Fish is a safe bet--caught fresh almost every day!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Ann Arbor,Mi
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sick off local food?

Did everything except drink tap water. Didnt have any problems. If you do you can take pepto and buy Cipro over the counter.