We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naturalist guide

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Loreto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Naturalist guide

My wife and I and two kids ages 7 and 10 will be in Loreto for a week in February, staying at the Inn at Loreto Bay. We are very interested in nature and wildlife, and plan to do the usual activities: snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particularly good naturalist guide? Someone who can not only find interesting things to look at (pods of dolphins, etc), but also teach us something about them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Loreto, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Naturalist guide

Hi, My name is Pancho Mayoral. I see that you are looking for a naturalist guide. I have been guiding in Loreto since 1996, and also work as an outdoor educator for the National Outdoor Leadership School. I could be the naturalist you are looking for while in Loreto area. You can send me a mail to panchomay@yahoo.com and figure out what you are interested on.

Happy Holidays!

Pancho Mayoral

NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naturalist guide

Any other thoughts on this? I emailed Pancho, but haven't heard back yet.

Paloblanco- Do you have any suggestions?

Also- Is it necessary to make reservations now for things like whale watching and a trip to see the cave paintings? Or can we just arrange when we arrive?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

colorado
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Naturalist guide

Hello saw that you were headed for loreto , no need to book your day trips ahead of time . You can book them when you arrive , give you a chance to choose which group you want to book with . Things are slow in loreto this year and you will have the services to yourself .

Enjoy ! Loreto is a wonderful place to enjoy nature . Make sure you do a day trip to the islands , best to leave from town harbor .

motana

NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naturalist guide

Thanks Motano. Its good to know there are a lot of options. Also, I did hear back from Pancho (my email was in his spam folder), and he sounds like he has lots of good options.

Thanks.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naturalist guide

Hi,

My son-in-law rents a house in Nopolo and we've been there dozens of times. I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend but there's lots of free things to do. Go to the beach at Nopolo at the hotel and snorkel around the point. It's the best I've seen. There is an estuary with lots of small mangroves and bird life just around the corner. You can rent a kayak at the inn (on the beach). Be sure to take advantage of the palapas on the beach in front of the hotel....the sun is very strong down there.

Should you want to spend money, you can go to Dolphin Dive. While they take people out on dive trips, they will also drop you and your family on a deserted beach on either Coronado or Carmen Islands for a few hours. You own the beach and can sun/snorkel/explore to your hearts content.

BTW, I recommend Mama McLulu's, a small taco place. We've eaten there dozens of times and it is safe and delicious.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naturalist guide

Hi,

My son-in-law rents a house in Nopolo and we've been there dozens of times. I'm not sure what kind of money you want to spend but there's lots of free things to do. Go to the beach at Nopolo at the hotel and snorkel around the point. It's the best I've seen. There is an estuary with lots of small mangroves and bird life just around the corner. You can rent a kayak at the inn (on the beach). Be sure to take advantage of the palapas on the beach in front of the hotel....the sun is very strong down there.

Should you want to spend money, you can go to Dolphin Dive. While they take people out on dive trips, they will also drop you and your family on a deserted beach on either Coronado or Carmen Islands for a few hours. You own the beach and can sun/snorkel/explore to your hearts content.

BTW, I recommend Mama McLulu's, a small taco place. We've eaten there dozens of times and it is safe and delicious.

7. Re: Naturalist guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:58 pm, March 12, 2011
Edited: 5:58 pm, March 12, 2011
NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naturalist guide

Update- Pancho ended up being out of town during our visit, so we used Sea and Land Eco-Tours to arrange our trips, and they did a great job. Our guide was Linda Ramirez, and she was very knowledgeable about the wildlife and did a fantastic job. See my full trip report at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150772-i879-k4315…

9. Re: Naturalist guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 21, 2012