We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Loreto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car

we will be on loreto for 9 days and I am wondering if we need to have a rental car. I know some beaches are out of town so will it be necessary and if so where is best place to rent one. Thank you

loreto
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car

I think nine days in Loreto without a car might get boring. My suggestion would be to spend a couple of days in town getting a feel for the place and then consider renting a car for a few days to go to San Javier, Ligui, San Bruno or up to Mulege and Bahia Concepcion. There are 3 rental car agencies in town. You'll have seen them all after a couple of days in town. Ask for prices and go for the best deal. Your hotel should be able to help you as well. Hope this helps.

By the way, can't imagine you'll have trouble getting a car without reservations. Tourism is way down. And trying to rent in the hubbub at the airport just isn't necessary.

washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car

Thank you so much for the information. I have read some not so favorable reviews about europcar glad there are other options in town. can you make any recommendations on fishing guides and is snorkeling okay this time of year? thank you looking forward to our visit

loreto
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car

I went snorkeling Saturday off of Carmen Island and the water temp was about 81 degrees. The water clarity was great. We've had several days of hard west winds now and I expect the water temps to drop a degree or two by the next time I get out on the water. And the temps will keep dropping until they hit 65 or so in mid-winter. Then they start to slowly climb again. My recommendations for fishing guides would be Rigoberto Davis in the panga Aranxta, Alvaro Murillo in the Silvia, or Eulogio Davis in La Inconforme. Check at the marina and ask for them. Eulogio probably speaks the best English, but all of them can communicate and will give you a great time.

washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car

MXN Peso is it necessary to exchange money what is easier way to use US or MXN are there places in town to exchange? I appreciate all of your replies to my questions thank you!

loreto
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car

Always best to use pesos. The exchange rate in local businesses always give them a profit edge. Best way to get pesos is at an ATM with a debit card. There are charges involved from the local bank and, sometimes, from your home bank. We've found our Charles Schwab debit card actually refunds all foreign transaction charges! There are 3 banks in town--two are Bancomer and one is Banamex. Banamex is a Citibank branch, FYI. Each of the banks has an ATM open 24 hours. The process is fairly painless.

washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car

thank you again for all of your advice!

7. Re: Rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 20, 2011