We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle
9 posts
Save Topic
Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

HI,

I am planning on waking up on a beach in Loreto on my 50th as opposed to waking up in rainy Seattle.

Can't decide between Coco Cabanas and Villas de Loreto (both have availability, bikes, kayaks,etc.,and the owners of both sound great)

Biggest drawback to Cabanas-not on beach, and no restaurant (and roosters?) but it sounds like a nice atmosphere.

Distance from town no issue as we love to bike and walk.

Any thoughts- it will just be my boyfriend and me-we are looking to chill, and are tired of the Cabo rat race.

(Also weather looks to be a bit cool in January-is it too cold to snorkel,etc?)

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
943 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

Looking at the same thing for ourselves. Leaning towards Coco's for the pool, but have not ruled out the Villas. Also thinking about Las Cabanas De Loreto they looked nice as well. May come down to availability as well. When are you going down?

us
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

Hi there....I'm also from the seattle area ( vashon). We spent about two weeks in Loreto and surrounding areas this past February and had a fantastic time. We stayed at a B&B called Loreto Playa ( www.loretoplaya.com ). It was such a phenomenal experience that I would really urge you stay there. The house is right on the beach and is drop dead gorgeous. The upper suite is about $150 a night but wow...is it spectacular. Huge room, huge bathroom with a two person soaker tub and the sea of cortez as the backdrop. Two private patios, one a rooftop with a 360 degree view and star gazing galore. Robert and Paulette ( proprietors) and welcoming and treat you like beloved house guests. Walking distance to town center, bikes available, private boat /island tours at a ridiculously low price, fresh squeezed juice and a huge gourmet breakfast served on the patio each morning with the sunrise -which by the way is astounding as it explodes from Isla del Carmen which is just across the bay. The lower suite is lovely as well, as is the guest house next door but if you can get the upper suite do it.

I realize I am gushing...it's just that we had such a great time.

Happy to tell you more if you like but I will shush myself for now. You're welcome to email me directly if you want some more info.

peefi@yahoo.com

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

Thanks all for your input-I looked at Playa B&B- it looks lovely,very private and romantic, but we actually like to hang out at the pool with other guests. Plus I like the idea of having a restaurant on site and that is why the Villas appealed to me.

Is the beach at the Playa B&B good for hanging out? Do either of you know how far the beach is from Coco- they say a block, but can you see it from the cabanas?

We went to Belize last January and found many nights we just wanted to hang out and eat at the small restaurant on site and not walk a mile into town in the dark. (Water taxis only in Belize and we stayed above the cut) Since I am not bringing the kids the kitchen wasn't a big deal- just need a fridge for beer etc.

Caborat, Villas have pool also so tell me why the Coco pool is better?

Also saw the cabanas- nice also but again no pool.Look great for a group trip.

I'm sure any of these would be great-most important at this point is the weather. I am reconsidering going in early January because the weather said high 60's which, well still better than Seattle, doesn't sound very much like beach snorkeling weather- did you find it a bit cool? How was water temperature for these activites?

colarado
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

Check out Danzante.com on the beach and out of town, great walking and everything else ....... motana

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

thanks Montana- you seem to know a lot about Loreto- any thoughts on my weather concerns? I have stayed away from Cabo in January due to winds and rain, so I'm really hesitant about Loreto- only thinking about Jan cause it's my 50th, and I really don't want to be taking Christmas lights down in the rain on my Birthday....but I can always head somewhere else and do Loreto in Spring with the kiddies?

loreto
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

Loreto weather in January can be cool, windy and dusty. sometimes we have to turn the heat on when it gets to the mid-40s at night. Even on cooler days if you get out of the wind you can be in sandals and shorts. And the desert is a wonderful place to explore on those days. Or you might get lucky and hit glorious weather. Water temps will probably be in the lower 70's or high 60's. I need a heavy wetsuit to do any snorkeling--WHEN the water is calm enough to get out to the islands. If you want a sure thing for good weather and hanging out on the beach, you might focus on the Caribbean or Zihuatenajo. I had my 50th some years ago in Loreto and it was wonderful--but it was also in November.

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

thanks- I think I will wait until Spring Break and head to Loreto

then.

Did the East coast of Mexico last year (Belize) and had a great time but again, the wind and rains had just stopped the week we got there so I know it's a gamble anywhere that time of year. It just take so long to get anywhere in the Carribean from Seattle- we had to overnight in Charlotte.

So Zihatenajo, Ixtapa, etc, better weather than Cabo/the West side of Baja in January? Want to stay on the West Coast (using companion fare on Alaska) I have a timeshare I can use most anywhere in Mexico.

thanks for your help

San Diego
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

turning50,

I was in Loreto last December and then in late January and had a wonderful time. Whether was in high 60's to mid 70's. Very nice. Water was a little chilly, but a wetsuit took care of that. I wore shorts even at night.

As far as Villas vs. Cocos, they are both great. Coco's is about a block or so from the water, but the beaches for both are not your typical sandy beaches. They have rocks in them. But with that said, the reason you go to Loreto is too chill, no big discos, just peace and tranquility.

The restaurant at Villas is great as are the owners at both.

Ted

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

We just returned from Loreto Oct.9. We've been all over Mexico's beach resort areas and Loreto is what we've been looking for. Part of what made this stay so perfect was our stay at the Villas. Ron and Wendy, the owners and the friends we made around the pool made for an exceptional vacation. While there we looked at the other places we thought about staying at, and we were glad we stayed at Villas. Although we didn't stay at Coco another couple came over to Villas from Coco and stayed for the remainder of thier vacation at the Villas. They had prepaid their vacation at Coco but still left. I think part of what sets Villas apart is the non smoking environment. Also the staff,restaurant and the pool 30' from the beach make for a perfect vacation. We stayed in room #10, a great room. A cab ride into or around town is $3.50.

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Villas de Loreto or Coco Cabanas???

Thanks so much for your reply -it really helped with the final decision!!

After all the posts I have decided the Villas/with restaurant and on the beach is definitely where we will book.

However afer all the info regarding the weather we are waitng until a bit later in the Winter to go- we want to be able to kayak, snorkel without wetsuits, chill at the pool and on the beach and have temperatures more in the 80's.