We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

We plan to spend a couple of nights in La Paz. I think the hotels we are considering (La Concha, Luna Sol and Hotel Marina) are all considered to be fairly clean and well -priced places, each with their own things to recommend them. (Of course, perhaps the dates we need won't be available, but ???) We'll have a car, but prefer to be in close proximity to things most tourists enjoy. I am hoping someone out there has stayed at more than one of these and can comment on the pros and cons of each. I am not sure if any of these offer at least a light (free) breakfast buffet, but that would be a plus. So would being within an easy, safe walking distance of the malecon. On the other hand, lovely grounds or nice views are also a plus. (We'd love to wait until we arrive in La Paz and scope out the area as we have never been there before, but could risk being out of luck and ending up someplace we'll regret.)

Please help and thanks for any input!

Mentioned in this post
La Paz
La Paz
Baja California Sur, Mexico
La Concha Beach Resort
La Concha Beach Resort
525 Reviews
La Paz, Mexico
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
123 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

I can't compare the different hotels because I have only been to Posada LunaSol. However, I can tell you a bit more about Posada LunaSol. Maybe that will help you to make a decision.

Posada LunaSol is within walking distance of the Malecon. I made that walk many, many times during my last trip to La Paz. It is also very clean and the staff goes out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable. If you go for a regular room (without balcony), there is the rooftop sunning area that is simply awesome. My friends and I spent a lot of time lounging up there. They also have a lovely hammock in the shaded area - I could have spent a lot more time up there.

Posada LunaSol does not have a continental breakfast, but they do have a communal kitchen on the second floor. This makes it possible for you to stock up on groceries (everyone is REALLY respectful in the communal fridge - there are no worries about people grabbing your food/beverages) and make your own breakfasts.

I would definitely book early if I were going to go with Posada LunaSol. Word is out on this wonderful hotel and the reservations go fast! Mar y Aventuras also operates out of this hotel. If you have the time, I would sincerely suggest you take a trip with them over to Espiritu Santo. A very gorgeous island and should not be missed!

Mentioned in this post
Posada LunaSol Hotel
Posada LunaSol Hotel
368 Reviews
La Paz, Mexico
La Paz
La Paz
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,208 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

Someone took my food from the fridge, so I recommend labeling your stuff and tying it up in grocery bags. But the communal kitchen is great.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

Husband and I stayed at La Concha in June. I loved the hotel, didn't like the food in the restaurant. It doesn't have a free breakfast. The hotel does have a private beach that you can relax on all day and that is very nice in the evening after a day of fishing. The hotel is quiet and everyone is very nice. Its about a 5 minute drive to el centro. If you have a car this is ok. If not, it costs 100 pesos to take a taxi there (which I thought was too much). Husband picked this hotel because it was more "romantic" and we were there for our anniversary. Next time we will stay in el centro (downtown) by the malecon (beach/boardwalk).

If you want to be in walking distance to a lot of things, stay in el centro. All of La Paz is really nice and very safe. Husband is actually going there with the boys to fish tomorrow. They are staying in el centro at La Perla. Walking distance to everything. At night the boardwalk fills with families and people exercising and enjoying the evening. It's nice to be right across the street from that. We will stay at La Perla next time.

Mentioned in this post
La Concha Beach Resort
La Concha Beach Resort
525 Reviews
La Paz, Mexico
La Paz
La Paz
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,596 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

Thanks to everyone for the input.

5. Re: La Concha, LunaSol or Hotel Marina? Pros/Cons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 18, 2014