We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoker friendly?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stony Brook, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smoker friendly?

Are there places in La Paz to enjoy a drink and a smoke? If not indoors, are there places with outdoor seating? And can anyone recommend good ones? And what is the weather in late October/early November? Gracias.

alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoker friendly?

Have never found a smoker friendly place that was friendly to non-smokers. does such a thing exist?

Stony Brook, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoker friendly?

Lots of them exist, just as there are lots of nonsmokers who don't mind others smoking. I believe you've got your terminology wrong and you're looking for a place that caters to ANTIsmokers.

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoker friendly?

I am a smoker and would love to know if any smoker friendly places exist anywhere anymore!

I am thinking that La Paz is not as anti smoking as other areas?

Just got back from Costa Rica a few months ago and they just passed pretty strong anti smoking laws

spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoker friendly?

I traveled to La Paz once and I never saw even a single person who smokes in a corner as I passed by. Maybe the night clubs offer that kind of request from the client?

philadelphia, pa...
Level Contributor
195 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoker friendly?

I am looking for places that let people smoke - an anti-smoking place would be a place that does not let people smoke - you are either pro smoking (for smoking) or against smoking (anti-smoking)

Pacific Ocean
Level Contributor
28 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoker friendly?

My experience in Mexico, including La Paz, has been this.

They do not put ashtrays out in the patio areas but are happy to get you one if you ask.

The phrase I use is, "Perdon. Puedo fumar?" No one has said no.

There are not many smokers here and those that do seem to be thoughtful of the non-smokers.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoker friendly?

Mexico is smoker friendly!

alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoker friendly?

Sorry to advise you Mark but Mexico has national and state legislation restricting smoking that is not too different from the controls you experience at home. It is not that Mexico is so smoker friendly,it is that sometimes our Mexican hosts are too polite to tell a guest to butt out and there are lots of gringos who think that Mexico is smoker friendly, and they have a license to light up where ever. Final point it does not matter where you are in the world, subjecting other people to ones smoking habit is no different than where you live.

9. Re: Smoker friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 18, 2014