We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Options in La Paz

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Battle Ground...
2 posts
Save Topic
Fishing Options in La Paz

My wife and I are planning a trip May or June and I'm very interested in fishing information. Any help with the following topics would be deeply appreciated.

1. I like to shore fish (like the independence of it), and we'll be flying into Cabo and driving to La Paz. I'm wondering if there are good shore fishing opportunities on the way, and what's good around La Paz itself. Also, I'd like to stay somewhere where I can walk to some decent shore fishing, if possible.

2. I'd also like to do some panga fishing. My wife doesn't fish, so I'm wondering if there might be ways to pair up with others who want to go. As for fish, I'm not really into fishing marlin or sailfish (have caught them before) as I like to catch fish that are higher quality table fare. What I'd like to catch is a mix of yellowtail, dorado, and bottom fish (tuna would be nice but I have a freezer full of tuna already). Given this, would it be better to try to catch the end of yellowtail season in May--would dorado be good that early?

3. What are the fish storage options in the area? Anything I should watch out for (have had fish stolen before by those holding it for me)?

Thanks for any info!

Steve

San Diego
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Options in La Paz

Steve,

I cannot help you with respect to shore fishing. I'm not familiar with it around La Paz and San Jose del Cabo. I'd think that if you were to go to Todos Santos (about half way between the two and on the Pacific) you could find someone to tell you where to shore fish. I do know that in Mexico you do not need a fishing license to fish from the shore.

However, as to panga fishing there are several good options in La Paz. There are maybe four or five main outfitters in La Paz. I know the owners of three of them:

1. Tortuga Fleet: Gerardo and his son Dos own this fleet. Despite my good friendships with several of the other outfitters, I try to fish with Gerardo, as he has been incredibly helpful to me on a personal level over the years. He brought mechanics to my broken van an hour outside of La Paz one time. And then, brought them back when the van broke down again. He sold that van for me when I was sooo done with it. He oversaw the remodel of my condo...you get the idea. His captains are all good and when you are done fishing he takes your cleaned fish back to his "fish house" and vacuum packs it and puts it into a deep freeze so that it's so frozen that you just put it into a cooler and it's still frozen when you arrive home in the States.

email: Gerardo_tortuga@hotmail.com

2. Jonathan Roldan: Jonathan's outfit is Tailhunter. He's a great guy who I went to law school with in LA. But, he escaped the rat race and runs a very high quality and efficient organization. Have only heard good things about him. He sends out a weekly email report on La Paz fishing. I consider him a good friend. You won't go wrong fishing with him.

www.tailhunter-international.com

email: riplip@aol.com

3. Mosquito Fleet: This fleet is owned by my friend James Curtis. He owns the big diving organization in La Paz, The Cortez Club. These guys also really know what they're doing and you can't get a better margarita than the ones they sell at The Cortez Club at the La Concha resort. You can contact them through their website at cortezclub.com.

If I can answer any other questions you can get me at scoomber@aol.com.

Skip