We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
satellite beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

Looked through all the great info on the forum and cannot find comments on driving from La Paz to San Jose Del Cabo. We have nailed down our accommodations for our stay, and are taking the bus from SJD airport to La Paz, but are renting a car from downtown La Paz and driving (back) to the San Jose Del Cabo area for the tail end of our vacation. Recommended routes? Input on car rental agencies with offices downtown that I may not have located on the internet? Thank you for any input!

la paz
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

It depends, highway 1 takes you straight to SJD airport,the road have two uphills with curves, a lovely ride of course if you have time to enjoy it, and its about 3 hours. Highway 19th has not many uphills, so it makes the ride easer to drive, but same time to SJD airport.

There are many rental agencies, the best rates are on internet, just make sure to confirm your arrival in order to pick up your car.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

why not just book the car rental on the net?

dollar-rent-a-car USD138 for 10 days on Travelocity. we did not buy any insurance from the car rental~

we rented it from Jan28 - Feb 07 2006.

pick-up location and return location: SJD airport.

we drove on Hwy 1 from SJD to La Paz,

on Hwy 19 from La PAz to Cabo san Lucas.

different scenery

Hwy 1 gives better scenery overall but more turns more dangerous;

Hwy 19 gives us a chance to see whales in the sea~

Make sure u drive on Hwy 1 in daytime only~

satellite beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

Thank you for the responses. Regarding the car rentals-to save taxi/time when we pick up the car as we will be departing from downtown La Paz, I wanted to find agencies that have locations in the city. National and Alamo are the only ones I have found downtown that also allow one way rentals.

la paz
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

Ok, there is National office in downtown, and on the same block, there is trhifty, a few steps away, two blocks after there is HERTZ, and one block after there is DOLLAR, ALAMO AND AVIS, all of them on the MALECON, (water front main street) And all of them give the service you require.

If need more local info, let me know.

satellite beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

Thank you Walter! That is extremely helpful.

alaska
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

We just got home from our 'eat our way across BCS' trip - driving all the way. Flew into Los Cabos and went as far north as Santa Rosalia.

Highway 1 is the route we travelled both north and south this time. We have taken the bus on 19 before, nice but quite busy.

While the road (Hwy 1) is quite windy curvy at times, it wasn't worrysome. And not real shoulders, but we noticed that pretty much everywhere.

Hwy 19 seems to be more heavily travelled and the one that the truckers use. I believe there is construction going on there too, but that is something a resident would have to verify.

My preference will remain Hwy 1 on our return trips too. The scenery is beautiful and the people are very nice - we like to stop in towns and go into small stores for purchases and to visit as best we can. That and without much traffic, the drive is quite pleasant.

satellite beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

Just completed our La Paz/San Jose del Cabo trip. One big important tip for the bus-everyone tells you to ask for the short route to La Paz from San Jose del Cabo bus station. Make sure it is via Todos Santos and not San Bartolo. I speak spanish. I asked if it was the short route, neglecting to specify the Todos Santos route. I was told it was the shortest. We ended on long, winding, mountain roads with stops at every tiny town on the way...the San Bartolo way. I cannot emphasize enough to specify "la ruta por Todos Santos, no por San Bartolo". Unless you really want to see the country side slooooowly. It can be a good thing for different people, but as it is, even the Todos Santos route is about 2 1/2 hours.

MInneapolis
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from La Paz to San Jose del Cabo

You'll be sorry - do not drive yourself to San Jose. Take the same bus you came in on.

Cheaper, easy, comfy - and far less risk. Pick up your rental car at downtown La Paz sites - there are 4-5, all with web sites - all about the same. Roads are bumpy even in town so don't rent a sled - get something with springs! Unless it is critical to drive back, you can drop car downtown La Paz and you are 40 yards from the bus station - which is clean, well run, and better than most U.S train, air, or bus stations. It is a Mexican secret ! Reserved seats on bus - bano on board - great scenery.

The bus ends about 500 yards from airport - you grab a taxi for about 3 pesos to your terminal - stupid but it works ok. Get on and off San Jose de Cabo bus at the Santa Anita bus stop - you can hit it with a rock. Don't go all the way into town of San Jose to get a bus - it's too long a the wrong direction - bus people will tell you this but not the airlines.