We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi vs car rental

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san diego
3 posts
Save Topic
taxi vs car rental

Will be in a condo in la paz approx 5 minutes from malecon. With 3 people, is it more cost effective to get a car rental to go to beaches north of la paz or just call taxi's? How much would taxi's cost for tha 20-30 minute ride to beachs? Will be there for 5 days. thx

traveller20074
Level Contributor
149 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi vs car rental

We rented a car to drive to Cabo when we were there, and the cost for a day was about $100 buckaroos, which I thought was a bit high...we paid $48 dollars I believe for comprehensive insurance. I'm not sure taxi's would be cheaper, but they might be. The advantage to me to renting was that I could drive around and explore, even though it was nerve racking at time as a LOT of the streets are one way and are not well marked in some places. The beaches are beautiful! It's very hot down there right now though...99 degrees with a heat index (feels like) of 115.

los angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi vs car rental

Definately rent a car. I've been going down to La Paz for almost 7 years and never heard of paying $100 a day for a compact car which is all you need for 3 people. Go to Thrifty.com and check out the weekly rates. If any of you have an american express card, sign up for the premium car rental insurance, which is about $15 PER AUTO RENTAL if u live in CA which I think you do. If you have that coverage, then all you need to do is buy the daily liability insurance from the auto rental company and not spend a ton of $$$ on the car rental company insurance package.

3. Re: taxi vs car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 07, 2009