We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ensenada, Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Gladstone, MO
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ensenada, Mexico

If you have cruised to Ensenada within the past 6 months, what ship did you cruise on, and did you like it?

When cruising, a person does not have a lot of time to check out places, but if you cruised within the past 6 months, what did you see/do in Ensenada that you liked. If you did something that you did not like, and would suggest that we not do not see/do it, please let me know?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

We live in the area 6 mts. of each year, and we are often in Ensenada. Is there a specific sort of activity you would be interested in? Tour of wine country? Just strolling and shopping? Just finding a nice restaurant for lunch? A trip to the undersea gyser at La Bufadora? Any of those activities are possible and might be what you are looking for. Let us know what sort of thing interests you, and someone on the board can probably give you some suggestions. Cruisecritic.com will also have suggestions for how to use your time well.

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

Hello, as you know our time will be short, because we are cruising. We are not interested in checking out the winery or blow holes, as I know they do those on tours. More than likely the ones that drive the Taxi's would be natives, right? They might know of "spots" to see or look out areas that a tour guide might not show us. Yes, we like to shop, but would like to see homes the way/area people live in, etc. Do they have any type of bargaining there? How about a "native" Mexican bakery?

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

brneyes5925: Ensenada is really a small town. The main tourist street is about a 1/4 mile walk from the cruise ship pier. You can see all the things you want to see just by walking for 10 minutes in any direction from the pier. You will not need a taxi. Once past the main tourist street, heading East, you will pass people's homes, bakeries, markets, etc. On the tourist street, the merchants expect tourists to haggle over prices, so they set the prices very high. Start by offering about one-half of the asked price. You will quickly find out what the real price is.

The neighborhoods get rough the farther you wander away from the main tourist street. I suggest you stay within one mile of the cruise ship.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

There really isn't a "hidden" Ensenada of the kind I think you are looking for. Ensenada is a city, a small city, but a city nonetheless. There is the port area, and a tourist area quite close to the port. Like any city, there are restaurants, Walmarts, Costcos, etc. that are away from the tourist zone. There are no "little enclaves," or quaint areas that a local cab driver could take you to that would meet your expectations. Bakeries abound, and all are "authentic." Someone on your other thread recommended the one close to El Rey Sol, and that's as good a spot as any. I don't think you'll find that a cab driver will take you to a little known bakery that will be any different. We go to Ensenada often, and we are outside the tourist area 100% of the time because we have things we want to do in other areas. From my experience, you won't get what you are looking for by asking a taxi driver to take you on tour.

I know you said you weren't interested in the wineries because tours go there. However, tours don't go to more than 2 or 3 of the biggest ones (L. A. Cetto; Domecq, Monte Xanic, etc.). Many wineries are very unique, and definitely not on the tour route. If you are looking for something unique about Ensenada that few people will have experienced, some of the less well known wineries would actually meet that goal--better than looking for something unique in Ensenada. Las Nubles definitely fits that definition: bajabound.com/destinations/…lasnubes.php It's absolutely beautiful there; the view is of the whole valley; the building is of "fitted stone," mostly "no mortar" construction. The people are very, very friendly--and the wine is excellent. I can recommend a wonderful, unique restaurant that i guarantee the tours won't go to, but it's in the valley. Tres Mujares is also unique.

bajabound.com/destinations/bajawinecountry/ You might be able to get a taxi driver to take you--but be prepared with directions. The taxi drivers definitely don't frequent the wineries or know their way around the valley.

This link has information on each of the more than 50 wineries: bajabound.com/destinations/…wineries.php

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

Thank you for your reply. That gives me an idea of how far we should go, and what we can find, and NOT stray to far away. :) If you can think of anything that we normally would not see here in the USA, please let me know. We like to see things that are "different."

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

Thank you for your reply. Yes you are right, I was told abou the El Rey Sol where I could find some bakery items. I thought perhaps, there might be "other" bakeries that all people do not know about. As for the wineries, they sound nice, but we just wouldn't be interested.

San Diego
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

I don't know how long you will be off the cruise for .... If it is long Valle de Guadalupe is to the north it is called Mexico's wine country and has many boutique hotels. 25 miles east towards San Felipe is La Cava de Marcelo the only cheese cellar in Baja, (they offer wine and cheese tastings). La Bufadora is towards the south, driving not walking distance. Ensenada county is the biggest in Baja, the city With a estimated population of 370,000.

Here is a balanced look at safety in Baja http://bajasbacknow.com/Bajasnewsarticles.htm if you are not involved in criminal trafficking it is safer than visiting Texas. None the less, use common sense and don't travel into desperate neighborhoods.

Gladstone, MO
Level Contributor
272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

Thank you for your information about Ensenada, Mexico. Each day is bringing us closer to that time. :)

New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

wondering what you did with your time in Ensenada - and if you would offer assistance for our day there off the ship.

New York
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ensenada, Mexico

wondering what you did with your time in Ensenada - and if you would offer assistance for our day there off the ship.