We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

We are planning to travel to Ensenada this coming weekend. My wife is very concerned about our safety. We are driving from San Diego to Ensenada with some friends. We have three small kids and my wife is concerned about kidnappings and violence.

Should we be overly concerned?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

Hello, my name is DJ and my husband and I and friends, are headed to beautiful Ensenada for Memorial weekend too.

This is our third trip this year, the last being for the Rosarito/Ensenada bike ride in April. We've been coming to this area for nearly 17 years and we all agree that it is safer than it has ever been.

The media has made a mess of things in this area and unless you are doing drugs or illegal activities, I believe Ensenada is as safe as LA or San Diego. Horrible things happen in our cities too (ask any SD or LAPD police officer), but due to the power of CA tourism, we are likely to never hear about them.

On a positive note, with all the bad press, tourism is lower than normal and we benefit by enjoying great, personalized service.

We are staying at Coral and Marina, and we see families with children there often. Pool toys are a must.

Google: Fast pass. This is a great program to help tourists get through the border faster with a 'coupon' or pass from local participating merchants. We used it last time and it only took us 30 mins at the San Ysidro Border. With two kids in the car...I bet this would be a big help :) If you would like further information, I can email you our notes. happydj00@yahoo.com

Have a great time! According to the weather it is going to be a BEAUTIFUL weekend!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

Thanks DJ for the information and tip. Very helpful!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

Got back yesterday from Ensenada. We had a great time! Ensenada is safe and very affordable. The dollar goes a long way these days. I have to say the security concerns where a non-issue. The city is safe and the people are wonderful.

The Mexican military has checkpoints along the road to check for drugs and weapons. If you aren't doing anything illegal; no need to worry.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

Glad you took the time to come back and post a positive review. I think it really helps others to know that "ordinary travelers" have a good time and have no safety concerns.

5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend Safety Concerns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 29, 2010