We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

My wife and I will be visiting San Diego at the end of March for an all too brief 3 day visit. Would like to take the opportunity to at least stick our feet into Mexico and get a flavor for some places that we have read about for possible retirement locations in the not too too distant future.

I've been to San Diego once on a business trip, very shortly after 9/11 and took the opportunity to make a very brief visit to Tijuana. As I recall getting into Mexico was no problem, but the lines getting back to the US were long and delayed--even though I walked over the border...I chalked it up to it being so close to 9/11--I think it was about a week after, but from what I have read it can still eat up a good chunk of time.

In any event still may be interested in doing this, but have some questions:

1. What would be a typical cab fare to Rosarito? to Ensenada? With hassles of getting Mexican car insurance, rental car restrictions, and border back ups figure walking across and getting a taxi would probably be the easiest way.

2. If Ensenada would be considered to far for a day trip are there other towns between Rosarito and Ensenada that might be worth a visit?

--Looked at places like Puerto Nuevo--is there anything there besides restaurants? La Salina?

3. Any suggestions for a day trip of this sort? We're not really heavy duty into shopping or anything--looking for interesting place to stroll around, hang around on a beach, absorb some local color..some place different than the US.

4. Were considering doing a whale watching tour in San Diego--is something like this offered in Ensenada or the area and does any one know approximate costs, etc.

Thanks for any help--wish we had more time on this trip, but would really like to explore however briefly across the border...

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

Check on a day trip company called Daytripper Tours. I go down to Ensenada with them and they also have a wine tasting tour out that way. Their website is: www.daytripper.com -- it's your best way to get there for a day and with no hassle at all. Enjoy San Diego - it's a great city.

2. Re: Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, March 10, 2008
Southern California
Level Contributor
155 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

It is doable but you won't have much time in Ensenada. The 2 best options are to take a day trip as has been suggested or rent a car and drive down. In your case I would opt for the day trip tour.

There really isn't much of interest to stop and see between Tijuana and Ensenada. Rosarito is just a typical tourist trap. Puerto Nuevo is nothing but a few restaurants. Ensenada is a real Mexican port city of a about 350,000 and is well worth the visit.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

They've already visited and returned home--or not visited.

5. Re: Is Ensenada is doable day trip from San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 22, 2009