We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

This April will be my first stay at an all inclusive resort (Vallarta Palace)...is it expected to leave tips at the meals? Or the concierge? What is expected from us tip-wise at an all inclusive resort? Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
214 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Most of the time a tip is included in the price. Some sort of fee times the number of days you are there. I typically tip some of the employee that I really liked at the end of the trip as a little bit extra.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

TIP! while there think about the service that you are getting and the service that you get back home (and the obligatory tip that is due at home even for non existant service... at least where i live).

Our thinking is that if we tip even 10 $ a day, that is less than 100- one dinner out at home vs handfuls of people who are "loaning" us their country.

yes you already did pay for what you are getting. but -- everything we see and hear is that the people are not that wealthy (don't start on how it is relative to their standard of living please). We can lose more money in the street or washing machine,buying stupid things - spread some cheer.

Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Please tip. Those prepaid gratuities rarely get to the people who are doing the work. If you can afford a resort vacation you can afford the tips.

Minimum daily wage in Mexico is about $5 USD, that's daily, not hourly.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Cabo- can you also elaborate on what it does cost for the average worker to live? that might stop all of the nasayerswho say -- they get paid well enough for their living costs.

I am totally with you - if we can afford to take a vaction we can afford to be a little generous with those who "serve" us with a smile -- from early morning to late at night you will see the same faces. not all are happy/smiling -- but think about the grumps that your un acroos that are on vacation ! and read some of their reviews about things they are complaining over. off my soap box.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Sure. Rent is less, but a tank of propane for cooking and hot water is 500 pesos, a family of four can go through that in 2 months. Electricity isn't cheap, and average family will spend a minimum of 300-400 pesos a month. Food is not cheap, unless you subsit totally on tortillas and beans..a dozen eggs is up to 18 pesos and a loaf of Bimbo bread is almost 2 bucks. Clothes, shoes, toothpaste, toilet paper are not that much cheaper than in the US. 15 gallons of purified water is 15 pesos. Sure Mexicans can live for less, but the idea that they can live super cheap is just crazy.

Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Relative to that, you might think the 500 pesos for gas is cheap, but your average worker will have to work almost a week to pay for that. If an average salary for a maid in a hotel is 100 pesos per day, that's five days labor to buy that cooking and water heating gas.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
214 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Cabo - I do agree that they do not make much money. The jobs at the resorts are the ones that everyone wants. That is why it is so important for peoples' children to learn English. Truly I have found that the cost of living is a lot less then where I live. The main staples ( rice and beans) are very cheap.. When I lived in Mexico that is what we ate most all of the time. It is the extra things that cost a lot. And yes some Americans do make a lot of money and it would be no problem to give them extra money but in some cases the cost of the vacation is more than most can afford. Maybe it is a once in a lifetime trip or people saved up for 5 years to be able to go. I do not think that people should be forced to tip just for the sake of tipping. I can remember back 15 years ago when I would actually bring items to give to the workers for their kids. They loved it. Now all they want is money. Is the American greed starting to wear off on them? Many of the older generation are very worried about what the Mexican cultural is turning into.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

The Mexican culture (whatever that means) force people to use money to pay for bills and expenses, as it is almost impossible to live of beans and rice. That's the way it's been since I can remember, and talking to my father and older people, it has always been the same.

Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

Yeah, it is really terrible that people want money!!

Oh and those English classes that you think are so important..cost $$$!

If people can't afford a few dollars a day for tips, they should stay home.

Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
214 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping at an all-inclusive resort???

It seems that these posts always turn into a Bitc* (did not know you could not use this word in a post) fest. Everything is based on experiences that each individual has so I am sorry to have even responded with my opinion. Just keep in mind that we have many poor people in the US but for some reason people are not willing to give them money to help pay bills. My friends that have a lot of money are doing just fine under the current ruler but a lot of us are barely getting by. This can also be said of the hard working people of Mexico. The poor keep getting poorer.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America