We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport might be 1 month old, heading to Puerto vallart...

Logan, Utah
5 posts
Save Topic
passport might be 1 month old, heading to Puerto vallart...

I have not booked my trip yet, but I would like to go to Puerto Vallarta at the end of August. My issue is I just ordered my new 'adult' passport on May 21st, my old passport was when I was 15 and they require you to get an adult passport which is starting over....I think. Am I going to run into issues crossing the Mexican border going in and leaving? I will try and stick with delt airlines, but the other airlines that are available are Aeromexico, United, and Alaska Airlines. I've read that I can call the airline and ask them if I'd be okay, but how reliable is their word over the phone as opposed to the entry gate and immigration?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Hotel May Palace
Hotel May Palace
26 Reviews
Tuxpan, Mexico
3 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passport might be 1 month old, heading to Puerto vallart...

whit1919,

Welcome to TA! First of all you have posted your question in the 'general Mexico (country) roll-up forum', which does not have many readers. You would do much better re-posting your questions in the Pto. Vallarta forum, which has significantly more readers.

I'll try to answer your question nonetheless. It would appear that you are in the process of getting a new US Passport, correct?? And you think that your new passport won't have enough (used) months on it to travel to Mexico, right?? I hope I have your questions correct.

First of all Mexico *does not require* that your passport be at least 6 months 'old' or have at least 6 months remaining on the validity of your passport (for US citizens anyway) to enter Mexico. However some airlines *might* require that your passport have at least six (6) months remaining on your passport before they will fly you to Mexico. That is an airline rule, not a rule for entry into the country of Mexico. [I won't go into why here, unless you really want to know.....]. So you won't run into any issues entering or departing Mexico with your new (adult) passport.

So if you get a new US Passport and it is valid (of course it will be, otherwise you wouldn't get it) for the dates of your travel to Mexico, then you will be fine. You will need to also complete a Mexican Immigration Form (FMM), which the airline will give you onboard -or- you will need to complete one before arriving at the Immigration Agent's kiosk / desk.

The Immigration Agent will give you back a small receipt, which is the bottom portion of the FMM form. Make sure to keep this and do not lose it, as you will need to replace it if you do and the cost is $533 Mxn pesos...... or about $25 USD. I like to keep a large paperclip inside the rear cover of my passport and just slip the 'receipt' under this paperclip inside for safe keeping until I turn it in upon departing Mexico!

Hope this helps. Post back if you have any additional questions. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Logan, Utah
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: passport might be 1 month old, heading to Puerto vallart...

Yes...pretty obvious I'm new haha! But thank you so much, this helped me out a lot!

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passport might be 1 month old, heading to Puerto vallart...

Here is the link to the Mexican FMM Immigration (online) form:

https:/…solicitud.html

Note you can only complete this form within thirty (30) days of your arriving into Mexico. You will have to print it out (digital copies ARE NOT accepted) and it should be 2 separate pages, not back-to-back.

Personally I like the old government issued form myself, and keep a couple of blank 'extra copies' in my carry on bag. That way I always have one for completing before arrival, and if they happen to hand one out (like they used to all the time) I just slip the new one into my bag and then use the one I already completed!! Anyway, just make sure you don't lose what they give back to you, as it costs about $533 Mxn pesos (or $25 USD) to replace it if you do. Safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: passport might be 1 month old, heading to Puerto vallart...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;