We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

Ontario, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

We are thinking of visiting Statia in Feb or March and were trying to decide where to stay and who to dive with. We are leaning toward Statia Lodge and Squbaqua but would like to hear from anyone who may have visited recently.

Thanks

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

I would highly suggest you stay at the Old Gin House. That is the better of the hotels on the Island. As for diving I recommend Dive Statia. You can visit their website at www.divestatia.com They are wonderful people, fully licensed and have been in business for years. Make sure you bring your certification with you, or you can take the classes that are offered there.

New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

I also recommend DiveStatia. Rudy and Rinda are great (owners) and SubAqua is very good also. We recommed renting a house or staying at Golden Era or Gin House. Statia Lodges is 20 min drive from the diving, the 2 places are 2 minutes walk.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

not sure if you have gone but I know who not to dive with now!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

so diver01 lets hear your report about who not to dive with

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

Would I return? Maybe if the airport (WInnair) improved dramatically. 3 days with out luggage was terrible considering it was sitting in their office at Statia. We physically had to drive to the airport, after calling and being told it was not there, and point to our luggage and get it. The resort called 2x aday for us also.The gal behind the counter said it was there the entire time. When asked why they told us on the phone for 3 days it was not in, she said the lazy girl that answers the phone wont get up and look.

No dive gear, no change of clothes and all the other things you need to vacation with.

Would I dive again? I would dive with a different operation say, Dive Statia or Squbaqua, they were always filled with divers. I found the diving to be interesting. But it was not worth the delays and change in plans that occured on an hourly basis. Not a happy team to be running a buisness that is geared towards the customer. I will say that the two locals that worked there were great. Something wierd about being the only two divers most of the time, when the other ones are filled and having a great time. oh well.

What did you think of the island? We had a great time going into town at night and eating at the local places. Meet some fun people and it added a unique twist to the vacation.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

diver 01 I love Statia. The quiet peaceful difference from other islands makes me long for home so often. Yes I said home. I was born there, did not however grow up there. I know have a house there and a business just starting to fully understand. I like to hear what people think of this island as I want to help improve what needs to be improved and preserve what is so wonderful there. Divestatia would certainly be my recommendation for a dive shop. They are fantastic people, I know them well.

I am sorry for your bad, horrible, experience with winair and whom ever did not do their job in the airport. Please do not let this deter you from visiting us again as you will certainly miss out on a peaceful and otherwise fun friendly Island. I will see what I can do to help improve the situation at the airport. Winair however is a completely different story..an unfortunate downside of any of the small islands as that is the only airline that flys into many of them. Until that changes there is little that can be done on that part.

Next time check out the Keli Keli house as a rental home if you are interested in a vacation home. Very nice place to stay.

You know where to find me to help in anyway I can with your next trip when ever it is. I will be taking all my kids and two grandkids down for a week in June. This will be the first time for several of them.

Have a great day!

connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

Ok Diver1, does that mean you would not dive with Golden Rock? Was it because you like to dive with more people? Was it a lack of knowledge or proper equipment? Was it the way you were treated? My wife and I are also planning a trip coming up in late October so please fill us in.

8. Re: Where would you stay and dive with on Statia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 28, 2010
Get answers to your questions about St. Eustatius