We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

Pune, India
9 posts
Save Topic
Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

Hi All,

Am planning to spend four nights in Ao Nang with my partner in mid or late June. Around this time, is the monsoon in full swing, thereby, putting our plans for exploring surrounding areas in jeopardy? Also, is it feasible to travel from Ao Nangto surrounding areas using longtail boats or we might be better off staying in Railay/Ton Sai? We'd prefer someplace that is not very crowded, but offers plenty of bars, restaurants, street food, etc..

Also, what's the best way to reach Ao Nang from Chiang Mai? Taking a flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi through Bangkok or a direct flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket and then a road journey to Krabi?

Thanks in advance.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

It's difficult to say about the weather - we were there last July & it only rained twice (for about an hour on each occasion then dried straight up& 30 mins later you wouldn't know it had been raining) we were still able to do plenty of trips by boat to various islands.

With regards to flights - Phuket to Krabi is about a 90 min drive so you need to decide which is best for you.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

It's less the weather, but rough sea which might prevent certain island trips. If it rains, it does for a short period only, but sometimes very heavy.

A taxi ride from Phuket is at least 2 hours and the fare THB 2'500. A taxi from Krabi airport to Ao Nang is THB 600 and it takes about 30 min.

The crowd is going where there are plenty of bars, restaurants, etc. If you want to avoid the crowd, you won't have the other amenities. Nobody is opening a bar or a business with no customers around.

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

I will be flying from Bangkok to Krabi directly and then going to Phuket ( stopping at Khao Sok along the way for 4 days) and then going to phuket for 5 days

you could do the reverse fly to Phuket, go to Khao Sok and then Krabi - I think Khao Sok is great for rainy conditions - can still go tubing on the river, and go explore wildlife ya it will be raining but its not like your out in the water with huge waves and poor snorkelling visibility if you love nature I would recommend going to Khao Sok I am doing the gibbon package with the Khao Sok Paradise Resort http://www.khaosok-hotels.com

Also from my understanding you can still do kayaking in Bor Thor and Au thalene and the Hongs during monsoon as the area is protected use krabi cavemen for kayak tours ( from my research they seem 2 be the best) http://www.krabicaveman.com

just fly in to phuket and then take a bus to krabi i think that would be best

Valletta, Malta
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

Visiting Krabi - Help Decide

I'll be visiting Krabi for 4 days in Mid June with my wife. I'm inclined to stay in Ko Lanta rather than Ao Nang as I heard it's better for a chill time. But I haven't decided yet as it all dependes how easy it will be to visit Ko Phi Phi and James bond Island?

Any suggestions??

Thanks

5. Re: Chiang Mai to Ao Nang - itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2014