We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Which Ao Nang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Hi all,

I am going to thailand for the first time next Friday with my girlfriend. We are 26 years old. Going to be staying at the paradise resort. And going to be there for 2 weeks so have plenty of time to fill.

Was hoping for some recommendations for some tours, restaurants, markets.

Is it worth renting a scooter?

If anyone has just come back, what is the weather like?

Thanks!

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Weather is great - we had some storms last week but now back to hot, dry and sunny days. Be very careful renting a scooter. Roads are very dangerous here - wear a helmet and use your mirrors.

You will have plenty of options on the street for tours - just remember that cheap tours are cheap for a reason!

Enjoy!

LF

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Check out the Tiger Cave and climb the 1352 steps to the top. Best done in the morning whilst it is still cool and take a water bottle for the climb.

View from the top makes it all worth it.

Tiger Cave is about 15 minutes drive/ride from Krabi Town.

boston england
Level Contributor
261 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

there are some really good restaurants on the seafront ( as you face the sea walk to the right till the end] had some great meals there never had a bad one no matter which one we went in. As for tours i wold do the 4 island tour on speed boat,theres also one where you go kayaking thro mangroves which also includes elephant treking, if you don't want to do the elephants you can do half day just kayaking, which takes you thro some stunning scenery. Don't bother with james bond island there's really not much to see, it's crowded and full of vendors stalls. If you hire a moped get a map there's a place nearby which i think is called fossil beach my memory is terrible. Hope this helps.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Heaps of things to see and do around Krabi, there is the Gastropod Fossil site, Emerald Pool & Hot Shower Waterfall, Poda, Chicken & Tup Islands (good for a day trip) have a good look around Krabi Town. Two weeks is a good amount of time to spend there. Go down to Noppharat Thara Bay and have lunch at Krua Thara Seafood, you can also walk out to some tiny islands if the tide is out:)

Cathy

Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Thank you for all the replys :).

We will definitely be doing the four island tour, and as many kayaking tours in because they look amazing. Looking at snorkelling and some fishing too, anyone been fishing? What was it like? Not after big game or anything.

Booked our transfer from kbv airport to ao nang through krabishuttle.com, seems like a good service with a good price. Will let you know how they are.

What is the best way to spend the day in phi phi island? Can I get longboat or speed boat from ao nang beach?

The elephant treks have mixed reviews, can anyone recommend a good one?

And last thing has anyone got anything to avoid?

Thank you again! Can't wait to get there now!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

At the beachfront you'll see a neon sign "Seafood" we had some fabulous crabs and King prawns at the first restaurant as you enter on the left.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
107 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

I've lived in Krabi for 12 months now and I always go to this lady for my tours (in the video below). I've done about 15 tours through her and I have never been disappointed. She sells good tours with reputable companies (some companies pack loads of people into boats and buses, have guides with poorer English and have food of a lower standard. Generally you find you get what you pay for: Pay a bit more and you get better quality all round). I'd highly recommend talking to her, she speaks great English and gives very good advice. She also does motorbike/scooter hire & I guarantee you won't have a problem going through her. Having a scooter makes it a lot easier to get around here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oASdD_GcXA

Tours- the Emerald Pool (which you can do with either elephant trekking or Tiger Cave Temple included), Hong Island & 4 Island Tour would be my pick of the bunch. Railay Beach is also very nice and easy to reach via longtail boat from Ao Nang. Nosey Parker Elephant Camp does a good trek and you can feed the elephants and watch them swim in the river there too. Tiger Cave Temple is a must if you don't mind a bit of exercise and you could do that on your own if you have a scooter.

Fishing: I have friends who have done it from kayaks they hired in Ao Nang. I have also hired a longtail boat to take me fishing near chicken island. You can catch fish as well as squid. You might need to invest in some cheap fishing gear though, alternatively kayak or longtail boat operators may have some you can borrow. There is apparently a fishing park somewhere near Makro in Krabi Town that is also reasonably priced I hear, but I have never been there.

There are plenty of markets around Ao Nang. There are different ones in the afternoon every day of the week. The Wednesday and Saturday markets are my favourites. Walking Street Night Market in Krabi Town is also worth a look - it's open Friday through Sunday nights from about 6PM til 10PM. Also the Krabi Maharat Market is worth a look. It's open every morning from about 5AM til 9AM. There is also an OTOP Market somewhere in Krabi Town from April 29 til about May 6. These markets travel around the country and are worth checking out. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but I'm sure if you ask around where the OTOP is the locals will be able to tell you where it is.

Restaurant - be sure to go to the Frog and Catfish It is amazing! You won't be disappointed! Here's a short video I made there to give you a taste -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYUUx4aBeo

They will also let you fish there if you're eating at the restaurant, they let me fish in their ponds a bit. And they have some quite big (and tasty) fish.

I hope that helps!

Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Thanks again for the replies!. And thank you Darren for so much detail, will definitely check her out when I get there. And the frog and catfish looks very nice, will be going to go and try that out!.

Only 3 days and I am going to be there!!, days are dragging like mad :)

9. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:09 am, January 13, 2014
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off to Ao nang next Friday for 13 days, any recommendations

Ao Nang is great I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you do one tour do the 4 island speedboat trip taking in Phi Phi.

So many nice places to eat & drink but highly recommend Ao Nang Boat noodle, a place down Walking Street called Blue Lobster (I think) & the folk at Smile Bar at Centrepoint really made our holiday.

I would avoid renting a moped but that's because I crashed mine last year