We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my experiance Thailand tailor for a suit

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
my experiance Thailand tailor for a suit

I thought I would share my experience as this seems to be a subject of interest.

I decided to get a suit made while in Ao Nang, I walked into the usual spots offering $150 suits. While we were discussing prices, i watched someone having a suit fitting, i though for a fitting, the suit was completely too big and had to many adjustment to be made, in fact it was as if they did not even measure the person before it was made!

I then made my exit and decided to try Tom Tailor as he was the only one not standing outside fishing for work.

Once i walked in, the tiled floors, air con, fancy shop i knew prices would be high.

After haggling, i agreed (without researching) to a suit and two trousers made with material from the back of the room. his so called finest range. Mind you, I bought a super wool 160 and super wool 130 for more money than other claimed superwool 180+.

i had four suit fittings over 5 days, fist was a pure canvas to determine length. Other were to pinch here and there. for trousers, I had about 3 fittings on one and it was used as a template for the other three

*PRICE*: i was definately ripped off. but that is due to my very poor haggling skils, no research AND starting the process by saying "i want you best material"

trousers about 2,500 baht. all in for three trousers and one jacket was 22,000 baht . tikes

*Fitting*: it fits very well due to the numerous fittings with the actual taylor who made the suit (i never met the one who made the trousers)

*Fabric*: I compared it to fabrics available at a London Taylor and they measure up very well

*Durability*: This is were i am let down. 6 months or ownership and wearing one trouser for a few weeks on end the seems one one part of the legs a coming loose. the others are fine although used mildly

Final point: don't expect a Saville Row suit. they are NOT bespoke but rather closer to having a good off the rack suit tailored to your body. you can read about suit canvassing elsewhere, these are NOT canvasses but glued (as as hugo boss suits etc)

On my last day, i found a tailor in the shopping mall that joined the Continental Hotel, they said a top suit costs about 9,000-10,000 bath and insists on 3-4 days as they want to ensure it fits. i will use them next as they seem to have pride in their work and i say a few examples that seemed fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Niyomthai
Gift & Specialty Shops
The Amarin Tailor
Gift & Specialty Shops
Ao Nang Night Market
Flea & Street Markets
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my experiance Thailand tailor for a suit

Sounds expensive to me - I had 2 suits (one brushed silk & one cashmere) & 2 shirts made at Mr Bean tailors in ao nang for approx £150 7500 THB - both are superb quality and are in full use a year later

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my experiance Thailand tailor for a suit

I no longer have anything made as quite honestly I can get the same thing made at home for a cheaper price and don't have to waste my holiday time with continual visits for the many adjustments that they keep having to do. I wonder if they loose the pins in them or something because after the first fitting they pin everywhere that needs adjusting then when you try it on again they have to pin the same adjustments again because they're still not right, which means you have to go at least 4 or 5 times and that's if you're lucky, it's quit bizzare. anyway thanks for posting it's good to hear about other peoples experiences.

3. Re: my experiance Thailand tailor for a suit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 19, 2014