We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

legal drinking age

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
legal drinking age

i have perused lots of posts online and keep coming up with conflicting views my son is 18 and wants to no if he can drink its either 18 or 20 what is the truth and how hot on this are they as this could ruin my sons holiday

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: legal drinking age

The legal drinking age is 20.

It might just make his holiday by not centring it around the consumption of booze.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
888 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: legal drinking age

Being caught drinking illegally and being charged in a foreign country may ruin his holiday more I would imagine !

Imagine all the other fun stuff he will be able to do while not stuck in a bar or nightclub?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: legal drinking age

A beer or two in moderation is fine. If it is to get drunk and wasted, Ao Nang is not the place.

Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: legal drinking age

Incredible ! Instead of discouraging your under age son from drinking, you're asking whether it is legal. Very responsible minded parents !

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: legal drinking age

he can drink a beer or two as he is a tourist

if he gets pissed and plays up big problems though

NSW
Level Contributor
158 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: legal drinking age

Go easy people he may not want to be clubbing every night and wasting his holiday getting drunk! May just want a couple of drinks over dinner... Wouldn't recomend breaking the law but no need to carry on, it's not a parenting forum.

California
Level Contributor
244 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: legal drinking age

My friend's son, who's 16, had no trouble drinking beer and wine in the local restaurants just a week or so ago.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: legal drinking age

and as usual tourists seem to think breaking the law when abroad is acceptable. What do you think about tourists who visit your country and break the law? When you're in Thailand (or any other foreign country) have some respect. And don't complain when you get locked up.

Edited: 12:49 am, December 07, 2012
Mentioned in this post
9. Re: legal drinking age

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 17, 2013