We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas to stay?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
942 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas to stay?

I have been searching to see which area would be the best to stay, someone said the Sheraton is too far, but I am wondering, too far from what? Is it far away from the city?

What we like is a comfortable hotel as we will stay there most of the time, but for meals to go out, do any of these hotels have shuttles to the city or are their taxi's available at the resort to go into the town? How far is the Sheraton from the airport and the main city?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas to stay?

Hi

From Krabi town - 25 Kilometer

Ao Nang - 9 Kilometer

Nopparatthara beach - 12 Kilometer

From the airport 40 - 50 mins

I think :)

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
942 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas to stay?

From the airport seems ok. But to the city seems quite far... We don't like eating at the hotels, but it seems if we stay at the Sheraton or Sofitel than we are stuck eating at the hotel.. Or are their other resturants around those areas? Any taxis? and how much does it cost to go into the city?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
942 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas to stay?

I called the Sheraton myself, they said it's 15 minutes to Ao Nang beach with has a lot of shopping and resturants. So about 9km sounds just about right. Thanks Rini.

Which hotel is newer? Sheraton or Sofitel? Which one is more recommended and why? Or is there another hotel of the same quality in the area that would be preferred?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas to stay?

We stayed at the Sheraton at the beginning ot the month, and it was absolutely fantastic. Another couple there had stayed at the Sofitel before, and loved that too, but found that the price this time was too high, and loved the Sheraton as well. Apparently the Sofitel has a larger pool, but the staff was so friendly and even the poolside snacks and cocktails were not a bad price for being in a resort, still a lot cheaper than here in Aus.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
942 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas to stay?

Thanks for your feedback.

I heard that the Sheraton is about 10 years old, but have no idea how old the Sofitel is. Any ideas?

I did see the pool over at the Sofitel is quite big, but that is also a distraction if you want quite.

What kind of room did you have at the Sheraton and was it quiet?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best areas to stay?

Hi, we had a club room with a jacuzzi, magnificent. The pools there are still really big and nice, the beach is the best I have seen, and I grew up on an island. The grounds are so big that the rooms were done in groups, so not a really large amount together, and not high rise either. As we were there in low season it was not noisy at all.

They are doing up the resort, and our room had been done already, so not dated at all.

Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best areas to stay?

It is "far" from Ao Nang more like 30 minutes

If you want a quiet relaxing holiday : go for it

If you prefer a more lively location, local shopping and the bars stay at Ao Nang.

Plenty of nice local restaurants close to Sheraton

Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best areas to stay?

Klong Muang,s best kept secret : Nakamanda which is walking distance from the Sheraton

http://www.nakamanda.com/

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
942 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best areas to stay?

I saw that hotel but I wasn't impressed with the reviews nor the room look.

10. Re: Best areas to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang