We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorbike Taxi scam

Which Ao Nang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern Thailand.
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Motorbike Taxi scam

Please be very careful when choosing a motorbike taxi to get you home, that they fully understand which hotel you want to go to, especially after having a few drinks and needing a ride back to your hotel.

Ask you hotel or resort for a taxi card at reception, whrn going out for the evening.

Stories are circulating around the bars that people are being ripped off by being deliberately taken to the wrong hotel, and then on the return, the taxi driver stops at a dark place where his mates are waiting and yet more money is then demanded in return for safe passage to the proper hotel.

Sad but true. As the area has become ever more popular with tourists, so it has also attracted the bandits too.

If it happens to you, take the bike plate number and report it to the hotel and also the Tourist Police.

SAFETY FIRST. Always ensure that the taxi-bike you are about to ride in, also has all its back lights working. On the many unlit roads around Ao Nang at night, the are almost impossible to see by other drivers until the very last minute.

A cause of many nasty, sometimes fatal accidents.

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Motorbike Taxi scam

200,000 Baht for a vest.....that's classic! Bahahahahhahahaaha!

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Motorbike Taxi scam

Strange, the inital post starts: "Stories are circulating..." and than later the poster claims own experience ? Fortunately in Ao Nang we do not yet experience this kind of scams. These tuk-tuk and tricycle drivers are honest. Get the price fixed whilst boarding. I have the advantage that I know a number of them personally. Whilst boarding one at the known pick-up points, there is usually at least one driver around I know and therefore, certainly nobody dares to do something wrong, although I cannot board a tuk-tuk of a known driver, as they have their queues. I live in a road badly lit. Many of the tourists get these vehicles to return to their hotel in Klong Muang or Tubkaek, 10-15 km distance with 75% of the road not lit at all.

13. Re: Motorbike Taxi scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 22, 2013