We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ao nang or khao lak

mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
ao nang or khao lak

ive booked myself & family for 3 nights in december, at ao nang, but someone suggested khao lak.. and the photos of khao lak look much better !! any suggestions ?? hope ive made the right choice .. too late now to cancel...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,011 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ao nang or khao lak

The beach at Ao Nang is poor by Thailand standards, so if you want a nice beach head to Khao Lak. Also the main strip of Ao Nang is a bit limiting after a couple of nights and the tailors are really annoying - I think Khao Lak might be a bit more laid back and slightly less developed.

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ao nang or khao lak

The best beaches here are on the offshore islands or Railay, reachable by longtail boat - and i think the scenery here in Krabi is certainly more breathtaking than Khao Lak.

mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ao nang or khao lak

thanks

mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ao nang or khao lak

which outbound/island day trip do you recommend considering that i will have just 1 day to take that trip... money not being a constraint ??

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ao nang or khao lak

Khao Lak imo is much nicer than Ao Nang but if you can't cancel then you'll have to make the most of it in Ao Nang which I'm sure you'll enjoy anyway.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ao nang or khao lak

The main beach isn't great in Ao Nang, but as a positive it is a good hub for island hoping and boat trips. Its not far from Railay either where the beach is better.

There is plenty to do, lots of nice restaurants and not too busy like other places in Thailand.

arctica
Level Contributor
930 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ao nang or khao lak

When you only have time for one of them, I will always recommend Ao Nang over Khao Lak. Khao Lak is nice, but the famous beaches and Islands that surrounds Ao Nang are breathtaking. A bit crowded, though, but I can understand why. Railey West, Phra Nang, Poda, Chicken, Hong...

Ao Nang itself is just a typical tourist town, but very compact and conveniant with everything within reach.

Enjoy! :)

central coast...
Level Contributor
276 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ao nang or khao lak

Having been to both I would recommend khao lak by far. Krabi does have some lovely surrounding beaches but khao lak has similan and surin islands which imo is more stunning scenery.

mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ao nang or khao lak

Thanks a lot , everybody, for all your help. !! im sure i will have a nice time..

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ao nang or khao lak

We spent 8 nights in Ao Nang end of October, we should have been in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, but paniced at the floods and cancelled. I though 8 nights would be too long in Ao Nang but it wasn't we loved it.

We were supposed to go to Bangkok but again because of the floods cancelled. So we hire a car and drove to Khao Lak which I had heard so much about and keen to visit. The drive there was spectacular but we were very disappointed on our arrival. It took us 4 U turns and 2 lots of directions to find our resort, which although on the beach did not impress. We were also put off by the 4 lane highway running through the centre of the towns, with restuarants and shops on either side.

We got back in the car and drove down to Nai Yang which we had visited before, a really laid back small fishing village close to the airport.

I think you have made the right choice with Ao Nang and hope you enjoy your holiday.