We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

NYC
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

We are planning to be in the Krabi area for 3-4 nights as part of our honeymoon and I am trying to figure out the best location for us to stay.

My fiance is a rock climber and definitely plans to go climbing while we are there (I plan on hittin the beach while hes climbing ;). We also would like to go sea kayaking. So far, the hotels that that have been recommended to us (Tubaak, Ritz @ Phulay Bay) seem to be in a more remote area. If we stayed at one of these, how easy is it to get to Railey for the beach and climbing, or to Ao Nang in the evening for restaurants/bars/etc.?

Any other hotel recommendations? We also know about Rayavadee, but just want to see what our other options might be.

Thanks!

Tha Lane Bay Discovery Tour
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Krabi Castaway Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Kayaking & Canoeing
Krabi Spesialisten
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing
Krabi Kayak
Kayaking & Canoeing
NYC
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

bump....

so, after doing some more research, we have it narrowed down to Tubkaak, Centara Grand, and Railay Bay Resort.

i really like the look (and reviews) of Tubkaak, but my only concern is the location...since we'd like to go climbing at Railay, is it a huge process to get there? would we be better off staying at a less "honeymoon-esque" spot such as Railay Bay Resort, or is it a non issue?

also, i have read mixed things about Centara...i like that its close to both Ao Nang and Railay...just wondered if anyone has stayed there recently and could offer feedback on location, etc.

thanks!

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
512 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

Hi there!

I'll be honest and say I don't have first hand experience with either of these resorts, however the Centara family of resorts has a sterling reputation in Thailand and it is the first (and only, I believe) Thai-owned chain of 5-star resorts.

You are right to question the distance between Railay and the Tubkaak resort but unless your husband is climbing early in the morning every single day the occasional transfer to and from the Tubkaak shouldn't be an issue. It's something the resort should be able to arrange quickly and without much hassle.

The Centara, on the other hand is right there next to Railay. As is the Railay Bay obviously. Also both of these resorts are closer to Ao Nang, which is the touristic hub of the area, with the bulk of bars, shopping, restaurants, et al.

Have fun and congrats!

Edited: 10:54 pm, November 13, 2011
Buriram, Thailand
Level Contributor
741 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

The Centara is lovely for honeymoons although it's on its own beach and going out in the evening (in Ao Nang) means a short trek late at night. Mind you, the rooms on the top floor with a jacuzzi on the balcony are quite nice, as are the villas by the beach.

As an option, how about the Pavilion Queens Bay? They have some rather nice suites which aren't too expensive and the views are amazing.

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

We have just come back from the Grand Centara which was amazing! Totally perfect for honeymooners without question. It is a small piece of paradise which you have to access only by boat. Free of charge courtesy of the hotel. They cannot do enough for you. Any questions about the hotel, let me know and I can help!

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

I am not sure why the centara grand gets the bad reviews. The centara hotels are good and they often have some deals on offer. If you cannot get on a boat out of the hotel there is a path providing you are happy to walk.

Alternatively there is the centara anda dhevi hotel which is newly opened, the angasara or the red ginger hotels which are all good.

It depends on how much effort you are prepared to take getting to railay and how much this takes priority over the hotel. From any of these hotels it's a walk to beach and a trip on a long tail.

If you want the luxury then Rayavadee would be my pick, with taxi to Ao nang then long tail to railay for a days climbing.

JasmineHolidays
Level Contributor
79 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

Tubkaak all the way :-)

bristol
Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

If you are thinking of something slightly less "honeymoony" I would suggest the Peace Laguna, in the best rooms they have available which are either deluxe or superior I think. We stayed there a couple of years ago and found it to be well located for all the bars/restaurants/shopping of Ao Nang, but still peaceful and tranquil. It is about 5 minutes walk to the sea from where you can very easily get boats round to Railay or out to the islands.

Most of the resorts you mention are more remote and transportation would be a bit more complicated - especially the Centara as it is in it's own bay and a boat ride round to Ao Nang.

Alternatively have you thought of a villa? We stayed at the Baan Malisa which was lovely and although remote you get your own personal driver to zip you about wherever you want to go.

8. Re: Honeymoon in Krabi- Best Location to Stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 26, 2012