We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any jellyfish threat?

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
430 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any jellyfish threat?

Just changed my Dec/Jan vacation from Langkawi to Krabi (Ao Nang) because of this jellyfish danger what they have on Langkawi.

Yesterday read a blog about deadly box jellyfish and found that actually these creatures have found from Ao Nang and Railay beaches also and there are even some victims with serious hurts.

Is it really real threat or these have been only some cases what should be ordinary like couple of times per year there are deadly shark attacks in Australia?

Some links if somebody is interested:

http://thaiboxjellyfish.blogspot.com/

http://thailandboxjellyfish.wordpress.com/

Edited: 9:43 am, August 31, 2011
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

This is all non-sense ! Your chances to get killed in a traffic accident is most likely 100 times higher than being killed by a jellyfish. There are no known accidents in the Andaman Sea. These reports are all rabbish. You may get stung by a jellyfish, but it's minor. We usually treat it with vinegar. I am a divemaster in the area and didn't spot any dangerous jelly fish for years.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
430 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

OK, thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. Unfortunately seems that on Langkawi it is actually more serious problem. Some hotels even put special nets into their beaches.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,193 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

Yes, someone was killed on Langkawi recently from a box jelly fish. However we loved Langkawi - but didn't swim in the ocean. The beach was polluted so the water didn't appeal anyway.

We also stayed at Aonang on the same trip. We enjoyed Aonang more - we did swim but not off Aonang beach, only off some of the islands. There were jelly fish off Poda Island when we were swimming.

I don't know the situation with box jelly fish but if it is a problem in Langkawi it can't only be limited to that one area.

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

The latest research shows that hot water (as hot as you can tolerate) is the most effective treatment for jelly fish stings. Better than vinegar. Cheers.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

Actually there have been deadly accidents with jellyfish in Thailand. For instance, an 11 year old girl in my daughters school died on Klong Dao beach, Koh Lanta, after being stung by a Box jellyfish in April 2008.

Edited: 1:16 pm, September 03, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

Dear dante007

Found this old thread on TA which may be helpful re. jellyfish

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k243…

7. Re: Is there any jellyfish threat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 18, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang