We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

Hi

I've just booked a 10 day Honeymoon at the Centara Grand Beach Resort in Krabi in May. Can anyone tell me what their experiences were like at this Holel and the surrounding area?

I'd especially like to know what prices I can expect for food and drinks in the hotel and the surrounding area and if anyone can recomend some restaurants. I can't afford expensive places every night so a mixture would be appreciated.

I see you have to get a water taxi back to the hotel or take the monkey trail. How difficult is it to get back late at night if we decide to go to a few bars either in Ao Nang or further away. We're note big clubbers so I suspect it will only be once or twice.

I've just read some bad reviews on this hotel about a virus. I hope this is all cleared up now but more information would be appreciated.

Also can anyone recommend and trips that we should go on?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

Silver.99

Edited: 6:16 am, March 03, 2011
Cambridge, England
Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

We paid £24 for a bottle of wine and about £35 to £40 for food. What bumps it up is the service charge, (10 per cent ) and the goverment tax.Very expensive and you can't eat much cheaper in AO Nang. Generally we were paying about £60 per night. What we didn't like about the hotel boat was that you have to book your time slot going and coming back so you have to plan carefully and think about how long you will need. We found ourselves racing back to the boat station at break neck speed on a tuk tuk so we didn't miss it.

I hated the monkey trail, I don't like heights and after rain it's very slippery but lots of people didn't mind it.

Cambridge, England
Level Contributor
46 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

Sorry - meant to say you CAN eat much cheaper in Ao Nang !!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

The location of the Centara is amazing, no question there. However there are serious concerns surrounding their hygiene standards at the present time with many travellers falling ill during their stay (check the other thread).

There are some other amazing 5 star resorts you shoudl at least consider as an alternative as the last thing you would want to do is spoil your honeymoon should one or both of you fall ill also.

I would check out the resorts located north fo Ao Nang, including the Nakamanda, but also those resorts located on the visually stunning Tub Kaek beach with views of the Hong islands, including the Amari Vogue (where we stayed), the Tubkaak Resort, and the Anyavee.

Edited: 1:03 am, May 05, 2011
Hampshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

I have to say, in my opinion, I would not go to Centara...

As one post read, if you are not ill... then you will have a lovely time, but if you are ill, it's miserable. The resort nurse is fab, but that's not what you want on any holiday, especially your honeymoon. It's not really what you expect from a 5* resort...

My advice would be, to look through reviews from other hotels in the area, as well as the Centara reviews, you can then make an informed decision...

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've raised my concerns with Kuoni but they just siad they're investigating the problem becuase none of their guests have complained.

We fly out on Tuesday so I suspect it's too late to change hotels but I am going to try.

If I do end up at the Centara I will right back on honest review of the hotel so people can make up their own minds.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

Have a wonderful time, if you stay well, you will.

The location is amazing and the staff are just lovely.

Let us know how you get on...

Congratulations x

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

We are due to stay at the Centara - Krabi in just over 2 weeks time and after reading some of these reports am feeling a little apprehensive. Has anyone actually stayed here in the last few days or is currently there to report on the situation? Are these recent reports for when people stayed a week or 2 ago? Perhaps the situation has settled now? Or am I just being optimistic?

Many thanks and I hope to hear from you soon. Cheers.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

Hi, there was a new review today, I would send them a message.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

I would also send them a message, but according to the reports here on TA, they keep stating that no guests have reported any problems which I find hard to believe considering the growing number of travellers reporting ilnnesses...

Hampshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centara Krabbi - Honeymoon advice

They said this last year, but you have to remember that this is a transient hotel, some guests are only there for 3 days, and some, as I have read, fell ill just before leaving, so didn't get to report any problem.

One reviewer who wrote a damning report to which management responded- "that she hadn't reported it and didn't she have great for-sight to bring her own medication" was if you read her thread, a lie as according to her, the nurse had given them all the medication...

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

And if it is as the management say "just something that happens in Thailand at this time of year" which is what we were told last year, then surely they should put this in their details or on there website (ha ha) so guests, armed with the facts, can make informed decisions as to whether they want to spend a vast amount of money (this hotel is not cheap) to stay with the possibility of becoming ill...

As I have said before, if you do not get ill, you will have a fantastic time, BUT...

Get answers to your questions about Ao Nang