We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

I would like to see Long Island, drive the island, stay?? . Arriving JFK mid September on a Thursday afternoon (3:30 pm) and leaving Sunday, any time. I would like to take the LIRR out and rent a car somewhere...anywhere. I can't find info anywhere and have talked to what seems like every mid-west based rep for Enterprise Car Rental. NO one can tell me where Enterprise and the LIRR intersect. I know it takes time to get out there so assume I need a rental car on the western side (to get there before they close)...but where? Any suggestions on how to do this? I'll find a place to stay when I know where I'll rent a car. Am I the only one that takes the LIRR out?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,891 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

Which areas on LI are you wanting to see? That would make a difference on where would be convenient to pick up a rental.

While there are numerous car rental places, some not too far from LIRR stations https://goo.gl/maps/C7KijEwB6vR2 I'd urge you to comparison price picking up the car at JFK because the suburban rental places often have shorter hours that may not be convenient and the cost/hassle of taking the LIRR might not be worth it. If you are arriving/departing from JFK it would probably be easier to just return the car before your flight. JFK is on the eastern edge of the city with good access to the roads to the east and (except for rush hours) much less hectic traffic.

The parkways are for passenger cars only and a IMO bit more pleasant to drive than the Long Island Expressway. Farther east some of the secondary roads are somewhat scenic.

Edited: 4:00 pm, August 11, 2016
New York City
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

The main tourist areas of Long Island are the Beach areas, The North Fork (Greenport and the wineries) and the South fork (Sag harbor, Hamptons and Montauk)

As a native Long Islander, nobody takes the LIRR for tourism, everyone drives

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,028 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

Agree with Howard that the main areas where tourists go are at the furthest east end; the north fork and the south fork. With such a short stay, unless there's something in particular that you want to see closer to JFK, I would head out east and rent a car when you get there. The Long IslandRailroad only has 3 trains a day to the Hamptons or the North Fork.

Hamptonjitney.com

is another option for getting to either fork using their Queens airport connection. So your options are

1) Rent a car at JFK and drive the whole way back and forth

2) take the LIRR to some place like Westbury/Carle Place and rent there and drive the rest of the way. The only reason to do this would be if it was MUCH cheaper or if you wanted to see Old Westbury Gardens and/or Sagamore Hill, the Roosevelt estate. You could spend the first night in that area.

3) take the Hampton Jitney or LIRR and rent a car in the Hamptons or on the North Fork. In the Hamptons there's an Avis and Hertz in Southampton and also a Budget rent a car at one of the car dealers in Southampton near the Jitney stop.

Edited: 6:57 pm, August 11, 2016
Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

Both Freeport and Hicksville have Enterprise locations near the train stations.

However, it may cost the same to just rent from JFK.

Edited: 7:42 am, August 12, 2016
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

That helps a lot! It gives me a place to start! Thx..appreciate the advice!

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

We're not returning to JFK and have had dismal luck with the JFK rental car place. I think we're better to be a bit farther out.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

If you're leaving from LGA, it might be cheaper and make more sense to travel from jfk to lga and rent from lga.

Recently my sister did that. Rentals from jfk and Long Island were too expensive ($600+), but lga was ($330) for a mini van for a week. So we picked them up from jfk and drove to lga to get the rental. They were able to return it to jfk. It was a hassle, but it was worth it for a $300 price difference.

8. Re: Take LIRR and rent a car? Where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 15, 2017