My husband and I are planning to travel to Thailand for approx 1 week in late February and are looking at staying in the Ao Nang / Raliay / Kho Phi Phi / Koh Lanta area. We can split our stay but don't want to waste too much time travelling/in transit. I have been to Thailand several times but haven't been to the Krabi region for 10 years and would like some advice on the best areas to stay, and possibly some accom recommendations.
What we're after:
- couples holiday
- beautiful villa style resort 4/5 star - we want nice, boutique-style bungalow would be fantastic
- easy access to bars, restaurants, shops - but ideally not right in town (boat access fine as long as we can get back at night)
- beachfront would be nice, or at the very least some nice views - peaceful surroundings etc
- we want to do some diving, kayaking, swim, eat good food... any other recommended activities?
- Budget - ideally no more than 6000 baht / night (Rayavadee is unfortunately out!)
I've been warned off Phi Phi (overcrowded, overpriced, bit dirty etc), have stayed at Koh Lanta (10 years ago as a backpacker, things have changed a bit...) and Ao Nang before... just not sure which areas would suit us best based on the list above? Open to other areas in the Krabi region too. We definitely want to do some diving and need access to a good dive centre (does not need to be in the resort we stay), but also want to do other activities and be able to go to different restaurants etc (ie not have to use resort restaurants).
As we only have one week I want to ensure we make the right decision so feedback desperately needed! Thank you!