We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - Ao Nang, Raliay, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or??

Mooloolaba...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay - Ao Nang, Raliay, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or??

My husband and I are planning to travel to Thailand for approx 1 week in late February and are looking at staying in the Ao Nang / Raliay / Kho Phi Phi / Koh Lanta area. We can split our stay but don't want to waste too much time travelling/in transit. I have been to Thailand several times but haven't been to the Krabi region for 10 years and would like some advice on the best areas to stay, and possibly some accom recommendations.

What we're after:

- couples holiday

- beautiful villa style resort 4/5 star - we want nice, boutique-style bungalow would be fantastic

- easy access to bars, restaurants, shops - but ideally not right in town (boat access fine as long as we can get back at night)

- beachfront would be nice, or at the very least some nice views - peaceful surroundings etc

- we want to do some diving, kayaking, swim, eat good food... any other recommended activities?

- Budget - ideally no more than 6000 baht / night (Rayavadee is unfortunately out!)

I've been warned off Phi Phi (overcrowded, overpriced, bit dirty etc), have stayed at Koh Lanta (10 years ago as a backpacker, things have changed a bit...) and Ao Nang before... just not sure which areas would suit us best based on the list above? Open to other areas in the Krabi region too. We definitely want to do some diving and need access to a good dive centre (does not need to be in the resort we stay), but also want to do other activities and be able to go to different restaurants etc (ie not have to use resort restaurants).

As we only have one week I want to ensure we make the right decision so feedback desperately needed! Thank you!

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - Ao Nang, Raliay, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or??

Boutique villa style resorts are difficult to find. Those in the 5* categories are all secluded with not much around it. However, there are about a dozen nice resorts in Ao Nang in the 4* category. Look at the L Resort, Ao Nang Princeville, both right in the center. The Golden Beach, Ao Nang Villa or Peace Laguna at the Southern end or Red Ginger, Mercure Deevana, Holiday Inn, Srisukant and many others at the Northern end.

For diving I recommend you Kon-Tiki. They have the most comfortable boat and are very professional.

Koh Lanta is another option with many resorts right on the beach, more tranquil than Ao Nang.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - Ao Nang, Raliay, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or??

For one week I would stay at Ao Nang.

Day trip to Railay (you can't get back after dark safely or economically and limited dining choices)

To include Phi Phi you could leave your bags at your chosen Ao Nang resort and do an overnighter there. Morning boat to Phi Phi one day and afternoon boat back the next day.

We stayed at Red Ginger which was ideal. Pool access room, swim up bar, great breakfasts and walking distance to all the restaurants. Check sawadee for prices but I imagine it would be within your budget.

Happy & safe travels

Mooloolaba...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - Ao Nang, Raliay, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or??

Thanks for that info - very helpful and I hadn't looked at Red Ginger previously but it looks great. So hard to remember what Ao Nang was like and it would have changed so much since I last went there in 03! But from memory we should be able to do plenty of day trips from there so probably a good place to base ourselves.

4. Re: Where to stay - Ao Nang, Raliay, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 23, 2014