We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thailand pros -- i need your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
thailand pros -- i need your help!

i'm planning a trip to thailand for january 15-26 2014. i've done some research and have answered a lot of my own questions, but some require more opinion mixed with fact, which is where you come in!

bangkok and chiang mai are easy (for now), so most of my questions are about the beach towns. a friend recommended krabi over phuket since it's "less touristy," but i'm having trouble finding the right location/hotel there.

i'll be travelling with my husband. we are from nyc so we'd love a place to get away from it all and relax but we don't want to be too far from the action. if it's too quiet we go a little crazy. we are young (late 20s) and don't have children.

there are a lot of gorgeous hotels in ko lanta. they look like the type of resort we're looking for (mid-size resort on the beach) but i'm worried that they're too far from the action. and by action i mean at least a hint of nightlife or restaurants in walking distance or a short shuttle away. ao nang might be a little too nuts for us. we want to feel like we're secluded but don't want to take a plane, shuttle, tuk tuk, and boat to get to our room every time we want to leave (that's why i'm thinking phi phi or another island would be too secluded for us). but is ko lanta too far from everything? is there a part of it that's more lively than others? is it hard to do excursions from there?

unless there is a resort out there that has a lot to offer so you won't need to leave. a lot of restaurants, entertainment, etc. but is it a mistake to travel all the way to krabi to not leave the resort the whole time i'm there? (not counting water excursions, of course)

any help would be much appreciated! thanks in advance.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,352 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thailand pros -- i need your help!

You'll probably get more replies about Ko Lanta on that forum.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,263 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thailand pros -- i need your help!

Lanta is still relatively quiet, it's not a party island like Phi Phi or parts of Phuket, though it is at it's busiest from mid-December to late January.

There is a good selection of bars / restuarants on the beach at the north end of Klong Dao, the most developed beach, and more bars and restaurants along the main road that runs behind the resorts. Cheeky Monkey and Ling Uan (Fat Monkey, but no 'relation') are popular with ex-pats and locals.

I'm rapidly becoming out of date as it's now 3 years since I lived on the island but then the best concentration of bars, restaurants and amenities was the 'village' area at the south end of Long Beach, though what was one of the busiest bars on the island Opium is sadly closed now, the Irish Embassy has long been popular especially for televised sports, its open mike nights (assuming they do them next season) and occasional party nights. Beach bars Ozone and Korner Bar were famous for their weekly parties, again I don't know if they'll be having them next season.

There is also a small cluster of bars and restaurants in the middle of Klong Nin beach, where Otto's has been popular for a long time.

Even the north end of the quiet little beah of Kantiang Bay has a cluster of bars and restaurants on the beach and in its little village area.

3. Re: thailand pros -- i need your help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 14, 2014