We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

We will visit the mid lake area of Lake Como the middle of September and then want some scenic drives in the Dolomites before going on to Venice. Can you please recommend driving routes from Lake Como? Also, are there any 1-2 hour, round trip hikes to view waterfalls or stunning vistas we could take along the scenic drives? We will only have one night in the area. Thank you.

Queensland
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

We also are visiting Lake Como overnight in September and would be interested in anyone's answer to this question. We are actually going in the opposite direction ie Venice, Dolomites then Como. We've decided to drive through the Stelvio pass between our accommodation in Selva Gardena and Como so that we can go up the chairlift to the summer ski fields and hopefully the kids can play in the snow? Also the scenery looks awesome, "Top Gear" featured this road several years ago on their programme and it can be found at s1te.net/general/…

We also like short hikes if anyone knows of any.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Hello travellers.

The route via the Stelvio Pass is the most scenic, unless the Swisses have completed the connection road between Livigno and Il Fuorn (looking North). In this case you can then drive east via Valcava- Muenster-Tubre-Glorenza-Merano or viceversa. I suggest to post the topic on the Swiss forum about the road.

From Mid lake Como the initial itinerary would go via Sondrio and Tirano, Poschiavo in Switzerland, then Livigno (duty free town)

With both routes, its advisable to fill the tanks in Switzerland and toll roads are avoided anyway.

Hope this helps.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,779 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

If you drive the Stelvio Pass, see adorable Glorenza and UNESCO's Benedictine Abbey of St. John at Müstair, and perhaps Val Venosta where Ötzi was discovered. Ötzi is now housed in the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Bolzano.

Route suggestion--Bolzano to Lake Como:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187858-i1845-k357…

You can also arrive in Livigno from Lake Como via Chiavenna and Graubünden’s Val Bregaglia, past St. Motitz, and onward to Pontresina - day trip to St Moritz (again!):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g666389-i15492-k67…

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Bruanne,

Just wanted to add to "Vagabonda"s recommended stops. Castle Coira/Castle Churburg is one of the best castle visits anywhere in my opinion. If driving from Merano/Meran to the Stelvio, you'll be going right by it.

www.museums-southtyrol.it/en/museums.asp…

suedtirol.info/en/…CoiraChurburg-Castle-.html

As for a scenic drive in the Dolomites, we have our own "Best of the Dolomites" drive that we've done. It's a loop drive that covers 4 Dolomite Passes in an easy day.

I'll start this from Selva (Val Gardena) just as an example:

Selva over the Gardena Pass to Colfosco and Coravara. Take the Campolongo Pass to Arabba. Take the Pordoi Pass towards Canazei, but get on the Sella Pass before reaching Canazei back towards the Val Gardena. You could stop in Canazei though. You'll find a lift or 2 along the passes, rest stops/cafes at the "top of the passes and some pullovers/ small parking lots for walks among the peaks.

fassa.com/EN/Lifts-opening-times-and-prices/

Paul

Edited: 2:38 pm, August 09, 2013
Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

We drove as well up to the fab 4 Sella , Gardena, Pordoi and Falzarego

but if it would be within a long trip, won't go far away as they are pointed like a constellation.

Queensland
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Thanks everyone for all these great suggestions.

Vagabonda: That route via St Moritz to Como looks fantastic, I had never thought of going in that direction. I think by my mapping it will take about an hour longer, but probably worth it for the scenery.

Castle Churburg would also be cool but it appears to not be open on a Monday, which is the day we'll be driving though!

Also Paul thanks for your Dolomite tour suggestion, we will have to do that route, looks good.

Bruanne.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Hi Bruanne,

Famous mountaineer Rinehold Messner's Juval Castle may then be of interest. You'll be going right past this as well. Actually, the Val Venosta/Vinschgau (west of Meran) is teeming with castles. Schloss Kastelbell is another you'd be going right by.

naturns.it/en/…

kastelbell-tschars.com/en/sehenswertes-schlo…

schloss-kastelbell.com/de/das-schloss.html

Paul

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
103,779 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Hi Bruanne,

It is a fantastic route - The Poschiavo Valley is very beautiful, but then the Bernina Pass, St. Moritz, the gorgeous emerald glacial lakes around Silvaplana, the Maloja Pass, and then the Graubünden’s ancient Val Bregaglia and Soglio.

Glorenza is a little gem, named one of Italy's prettiest villages.

www.borghitalia.it/pg.base.php…

And of course the amazing Great Dolomite Road - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187858-i1845-k137…

Whichever route you decide will be fantastic - Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

Thanks for the suggestions. If we depart Lake Como around noon and want to spend one night in the Dolomites, and drive the "Best of the Dolomites" the following day, wanting to travel towards Venice next, would we head up the route suggested earlier towards St. Moritz or go back down around Lake Garda and up towards Bolzano

Edited: 4:54 pm, August 11, 2013
Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving route from Lake Como to Dolomites?

I just looked at some photos of Stelvio Pass and it looks to me as if the road itself is the attraction. I'd like to see tall, craggy Mountain tops, water or waterfalls, and some greenery. I get car and altitude sickness, so I could miss all those hairpin turns if those are what this drive is about instead of the Mountain scenery. I don't need to avoid all curvy roads. I want to see some of the best areas in the Dolomites and will take motion meds so I'll be comfortable on these scenic drives. So, I'd appreciate some route information, given what I'd like to see. Thanks again.