We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dolomites in july

Malta
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
dolomites in july

Hi

We were planning to visit the dolomites in july. We were thinking of staying 2 days in ortisei, 2 days camping (still don't know where), 2 days cortina d'ampezzo.

With regards to camping we are interested in either a campsite that has caravans or we might also consider trying the hut/lodges. Are there any available in the area, please? Which is the bast camping area to go to between Ortisei and Cortina d'Ampezzo? Would it be a good idea to go around the areas by bike?

Would it be a good idea to travel with a car? I also read that in the Dolomiti you can try via ferrata, is there some sort of easy option of via ferrata for beginners?

Finally, would 6 days in the Dolomiti area be too much? We don't have mountains back home so probably for us it is never too much :)

What about the weather in July?

Thanks

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dolomites in july

I would recommend trying the huts. I'm not familiar with the Ortisei, but we stayed at some nice huts in the general Cortina area. One of my favorites was Lagazuoi (accessible by either hiking or taking the tram). There are nice day hikes to do from this hut, as well as just enjoy the scenery from their large deck. This area is also interesting for the Great War history - there are tunnels you can go in, etc. This website has more info:

dolomiti.org/dengl/…index.html

Public transportation is available, but I would think a car would be preferable, especially with limited time - this way you have freedom and don't have to be a slave to bus schedules.

Do you have experience rock climbing and have the proper gear? If not, I would recommend a guide if you want to do a via ferrata.

Six days is definitely not too much. It's a beautiful area. :)

2. Re: dolomites in july

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2014