We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two days in Dolomites in October

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
two days in Dolomites in October

I have literally been searching the internet for seven straight hours. Of course I'm a maniac, I love doing this. Tons of places, trying to find the right one for two nights in between our weekend in Venice and the night train to Paris. Would love suggestions for a place in a small, scenic Dolomites village with great views and preferably good food, 3 or 4 stars, but I have one question: on many of these places' website, they list summer rates and winter rates and the summer rates end at the end of September. We're going second week in october. Does that mean they're closed, or just haven't posted their rates? Should I expect October rates to be low season? Thanks a lot!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

Right, most hotels in the Dolomites are closed between end Sept and the beginning of the winter season (last week Nov/first week Dec). You might find the occasional one that stays open year round, but they are more an exception than the rule. Unless you are determined to stay in the high valleys, you might want to look at overnighting in a major city (such as Trento or Bolzano) where hotels stay open all year, and take a bus to see the higher places for the day.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

UpgradeQueen,

My wife and I spent several days in Val Gardena in the Dolomites last October. The area is beautiful, and the weather was great that time of year; not too hot and not too cold. All of the hotels and restaurants were open and the rates were based on low season.

You can find lots of info at:

http://www.valgardena.it

Also beautiful is Kastelruth (Castelrotto in Italian) in the Seiser Alm area (Alpe di Siusi). Info at:

http://www.castelrotto.com/Default.asp?L=3

and

http://www.schlerngebiet.com

If you can afford it, I would highly recommend the Seiser Alm Urthaler Hotel located on the Alpine Meadow of Alpe di Siusi in Compatsch, just a short drive or gondola ride from both Kastelruth and Ortisei. Info at:

http://www.seiseralm.com/

You will also find some good advice about Kastelruth (although there is nothing on Val Gardena) in Rick Steves' Italy. I've found his hotel recommendations to be pretty accurate. The section on Kastelruth is short enough where you can probably just take some notes at your local bookstore.

You'll Love the Dolomites. We did! If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them: markmaresca@yahoo.com

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

Ratoncito, thank you for those sites and your message - it's extremely helpful to get such specific intelligence, as you know! I will hold on to your address and contact you when I'm farther along. I have e-mailed some of the hotels that didn't list October prices to see if they're open and will check out the ones you mentioned. Grazie!!!

venice
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

If you want to book a hotel use this website: here you find all the hotels and their availability !

www.suedtirol.info

Portland Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

UpgradeQueen: you will fall in love with the Dolomites! We're going this fall for our third visit in 6 years and will again spend most of the time hiking. Our favorite spot is Val Gardena and can recommend the Hotel Interski in Santa Christina. Another good option for you would be to stay the 2 nights in Bolzano. Good train connections with a nice main square very close to the station. Alot of fun to explore on foot and another bonus is viewing the Ice Man! We haven't taken any hikes out of there but in Rick Steves' Italy book he describes one. As you can tell, I'm pretty strong on the Dolomites so if you would like to chat more, please contact me at barnt@comcast.net.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

What great information! There is a ton of options, have you heard of any of these? I'm looking for the best view I can find from our room, and a scenic small town. Doesn't need to be fancy, just comfortable for two nights. Flexible budget.

Hotel Goldenes Rössl in Castlerotto

Hotel Waldrast in Seis (?) this one doesn't have an English website but looks nice

Hotel Tyrol in Tyrol or Castlerotto?

Hotel Oswald von Wolkenstein in Castlerotto

Hotel Solaia in Castelrotto

They all look good. We prefer smaller and lower-key places when staying outside cities, so I'm eliminating the really big and fancy ones (no objection to luxury - just size.) Thanks again.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

UpgradeQueen,

On reviewing my recent post, I would probably not recommend the SeiserAlm hotel for a short stay. It is a fantastic place but is geared towards a skiing or nature (hiking) vacation due to it's location on the Alpe di Siusi.

I would definitely recommend the previously mentioned Goldenes Rossl:

http://www.cavallino.it/

It is beautiful and located right in the center of Kastelruth.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

Ratoncito- okay you may have me convinced to try Goldenes Rossl. Plus, my husband will love anything with the word Cavallino in it - he's a Ferrari fanatic. My interest is in the best views from the room I can get. Do you know if there's a difference between regular room and junior suite? (I will contact them and ask as well.) Also, they charge 25% extra for stays under 3 nights and we'll only be two nights... I don't mind if it's worth it. How's the food, or should we take breakfast only and eat in town? Is it walking distance from restaurants? Did you stay there? Thanks so much.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

UpgradeQueen, For a better view, I recommend a room on the upper floors. The hotel is in the center of a small but dense town center, so some of the views are obstructed by other buildings or the town church steeple (although these views are nice as well). I haven't seen the junior suites so I don't know if they are worth the extra money. The 25% premium for less than 3 day stays is a bummer but pretty standard in some of the nicer hotels in the area. It looks like you will get a pretty good deal if you get the half-board (breakfast and dinner), as it's only 10 Euros more than breakfast only. However, I would personally only get the breakfast so that I could try different restaurants. The restaurant in the Cavallino Hotel is very nice and equally expensive. Other restaurants include Alberto Torre (mid priced) and Hexenkeller (inexpensive). All are within walking distance of the hotel. There is public transportation in the area, but I'm not sure that you want to wait around for busses when you only have 2 days. Check out bus schedules at:

http://www.sii.bz.it/en/benvenuti.php

Also, check out the travel book "Rick Steve's Italy". The section on Castelrotto (Kastelruth) has lots of information on public transportation in the area. It also talks about renting a car and making the "Dolomite Loop", a drive that I highly recommend.

We stayed in both Castelrotto (Cavallino d'Oro) and Bolzano. Bolzano was nice but we enjoyed the small town charm and beautiful mountains of Castelrotto. Feel free to send any more questions. If you send me your e-mail address (I previously provided mine), I will share some of our vacation pics with you.

Portland Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: two days in Dolomites in October

UpgradeQueen, I'm enjoying the replies to your post, particularly with our own trip to the area in September. We haven't stayed in Castelroto but thanks to Ratoncito you have some great suggestions. The one hotel with an incredible view of the Dolomites that I can personally recommend is the Hotel Interski in Santa Christina, just east of Ortesei in the Val Gardena. Check it out for yourself by visiting their website: www.hotel-interski.com. With decent weather, the view from your deck is breathtaking. I took picture after picture as the blue sky and clouds changed minute by minute. And it appears they are open during the first week of October. Owned and operated by the Demetz family, they take pride in their hotel and restaurant.