We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hike

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Day hike

I am going to the dolomites in August. I am looking for a day hike that is of moderate difficulty. We are in relatively good shape, however, my sister is not big on hiking. I would like to do a hike that is at the summit of a peak, that has excellent views. Does any one have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hike

Hello

Where in the Dolomites are you going?

DD

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hike

We will be in Cortina de Ampezzo to Bolzano, so any hikes between or around these areas would be great!

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hike

Ok, that gives you lots of scope!

If your sister is not big on hiking, then I'd suggest you get a cable car to start with, then walk from there. You get the views without quite so much effort.

There is plenty of walking around Cortina. For instance you could go up to the Lagazuoi/Falzarego pass area and catch the cable car up to the top of the Lagazuoi mountain, walk down the "hidden valley" to Armentarola, and then catch the bus back up to the pass.

I know most about the walking in the Val Gardena and there's plenty to choose from here. For instance you could catch the new lift from Ortisei up to Rasciesa and then through the pastures to the Brogles hut before descending either by foot or cable car back to Ortisei.

Or from Selva you could catch the Dantercepies gondola up to the Gardena pass, and then walk over the Cir peaks and around to the Puez hut. The views from here are really spectacular and the only really difficult bit is the steep descent back into the Vallunga. That walk would take you about 5 hours I guess.

This website gives you the chance to put a walk together and gives you an idea of time, distance, hight difference etc so you can play around with what you'd like to do.

http://www.trekking.suedtirol.info/index.php

Something to remember is that the Dolomites are quite "pointy" so it's often difficult to get to a peak without being a rock climber.

DD

4. Re: Day hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 08, 2012