We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days in Dolomites

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
4-5 days in Dolomites

Hi All,

We are thinking of visiting the dolomites from Venice on 7th June 2011. This is our very first trip to Italy and we don’t know much. We like mountains a lot that’s why we chose this destination. We prefer public transport over driving so we need your advices on that too.

I understand that we have to take train from Venice to Bolzano and after that we have to take a bus, right? But I don’t know where to stay in Dolomites! Could you please give some ideas? Please suggest somewhere which is accessible by public transport and is beautiful with mountains.

We need to catch a plane back from Milano on 12th or 13th June, it depends. Please suggest the return transportation to Milan also.

I think I am asking a lot of questions but the thing is I am very confused right now about where to go and what to do. This is our first time in Italy and I am very excited too .

Thanks a lot in advance

Shonai

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Hi Shonai,

By public transportation, I'd suggest staying in the Val Gardena.

www.val-gardena.com

There's a link to a map of each town/village at the bottom right of this page.

www.val-gardena.com/en/by-train/page375.html

The 3 towns/villages (Ortisei, St. Christina, Selva) that make up the Val Gardena are just a few minutes from one another, so any of the 3 makes a good place to base. Ortisei, the largest of the 3, has a small and nice "old town" pedestrian zone.

Being there in early June, not many of the lifts/cable cars will be open, but the few that are running should be enough. Here's a link:

www.valgardena.it/en/lifts/page65.html

valgardena.it/stchristina/Lifts_Summer2011.p…

This cable car, from Ortisei up to the beautiful Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi (great for walks and hikes with a stunning Dolomite backdrop) starts running in late May:

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

We stayed at the Garni Ariston, in St. Christina. The bus stop is at the end of the street they're on.

www.garniariston.com

The Garni Ariston is located just up the street from the TI (red circle with the white I in it).

val-gardena.com/download/gardena/pdf/piantin…

Hope this helps get you started.

Paul

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

I forgot to mention, in the Val Gardena area (about 40 minutes from Ortisei) is the beautiful old town of Brixen/Bressanone.

www.brixen.org

paul

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Thanks a lot Paul :)

Can I ask some more? I just saw braise lake pictures yesterday and I am hooked! Can I visit it if I stay in Val Gardena? Also, there is a night cable car operated in Val gardena, right? Would that be open during that period?

Thanks again for your reply. This is helpful indeed ! :))))

Warm Regards

Shonai

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Hi Shonai,

Not sure about Braise Lake.

Night cable car is the one I listed:

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/eng/nacht.htm

Paul

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Ok, No problem Paul :)...Yes, I saw it about the night cable in your link but I was not sure if they open early June .....But, thanks for your replies :))

KR

Shonai

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Just to clarify... night cable car is every Wednesday night. Yes, it will be available while you are there, as long as you're there on a Wednesday.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Okay, here's my opinion - Valgardena, Val Badia and Val di Fassa have been completely built up with cable cars, the hiking trails are actually skiing slopes made with buldozers, and the valley bottoms consist of concrete for a large part. Of course the mountains are still there, but so much has been sacrificed to mass tourism.

The positive side is that you don't have to do any hiking, you can simply sit in cable cars etcetera all day...

Braies (not "Braise" in case you want to do a web search...) or Prags (the German name - it's a bilingual area) is very beautiful indeed. Especially if you like hiking: there is a large number of signposted trails all going up into the mountains from the lake, so you can stay right at the lake and do a different hike every day. If you prefer to just walk around the lake, that would be fine too... Since the lake is relatively high, the hikes can be relatively short.

To get to Braies, there are regular buses from the stations Dobbiaco/Toblach and Niederdorf/Villabassa. Coming from Venice, the most beautiful way to get there would be a train to Calalzo, then a bus to Cortina (frequent), then a bus to Dobbiaco (several times a day) and then a bus to Braies. That takes you straight through the Dolomites.

The more practical way would be to get around the mountains, by doing Venice-Dobbiaco all by train.

If you want to see Lake Braies but prefer to stay in a larger town in the main valley, you can stay at Dobbiaco, from there there's also buses to Cortina, Misurina and the Tre Cime. Tre Cime is one of the most famous views of the Dolomites, and if you're not much of a hiker you can still take the bus up there and walk to the famous viewpoint: The trail is very easy and herds of people walk there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Sorry eti_erik, but I don't agree at all with your assesment of the Val Gardena and the Alta Badia. Both area's are great to base in to enjoy the Dolomites.

Paul

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

Depending where you want to go will decide what transport, where you change.

Because of the area diffrent parts of the Dolomites come under different public transport companies and as such getting from one part to the other is not always straight forward.

If you want to go to Val Gardena/ortisei area best route is:

Train to Bolzano or Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck

www.trenitalia.com for trains

Then the No 350 Bus. This bus departs sometimes from Bolzano but a lot more often from Ponte Gardena.

http://www.sii.bz.it/en - either use the search or

click on "Timetables as PDF"

Tick the box Salto-Sciliar and click search

You will get a list of all the buses - 350 is at the bottom

If you wanted to go to Cortina the easiest way is to take the bus service "Cortina Express"

dolomiti.org/dengl/Cortina/cinfo/info04.html

Direct bus service saves you messing about changing.

If you want local transport from Cortina use the same bus timetable link above - instead of Salto-Sciliar tick the "Pusteria" (e.g. Dobbiaco - Cortina bus 445)

As I said because of the public transport links the Pusteria area with Cortina is somewhat isolated from Val Gardena. Transport between the 2 would require 2 to 3 changes and about 4hrs as many connections actually push you all the way back to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck to pick up the 350 bus

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4-5 days in Dolomites

My My!! ..........I have enough details on my plate now :D......I can't thank you all enough for your help!!! :))))....I have now a clear idea and I am getting excited again :D.....Have a nice day to you all!!

Warm Regards

Shonai