We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

Hi all - I will be driving from Innsbruck to Bologna in mid-May and would like to stay one night in the Dolomites to break up the drive. I found one hotel in the San Cassiano region, but it (along with other hotels in the area) will be closed during the low season.

We would like to stay in a town that will have a reasonable number of shops and restaurants open, as well as decent access to the amazing scenery in the region (although it sounds like everywhere in the region is scenic). Can anyone recommend a town or resort area to stay in?

Thanks in advance!

Bert

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
11,980 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

Ortisei is popular and 1 lift remains open.

An alternative although not directly in the Dolomites is to stay at Alleghe/ Lago di Alleghe. If you only want 1 night and as Ortisei isn't that far from Innsbruck you will get to see plenty of the scenery driving from Chiusa/Klausen through Ortisei onward to somewhere like Alleghe.

Suggestion of a different route after Ortisei/Selva Gardena is to go via Canazei to Alba/Penia past the Lago Fedaia to Pian de Lobbia on to Caprile.

Thing is you may still find Alleghe quiet as you have already noted it is low season. As it is only one night do you need that many shops etc

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

Hi Bert,

For a more "lively" atmosphere, Ortisei (Val Gardena) would be my pick. Places like San Cassiano, and the Alta Badia in general, are probably going to quieter. If that doesn't bother you, we stayed at (in '06 and '09) and can recommend the Ciasa Montanara (open all year) in La Villa, Alta Badia. We can also recommemd dinner at either the "La-Tor" in La Villa or "The Black Hill" in nearby Colfosco.

www.montanara.it

Even if the towns/villages are quiet, the scenery is always "open"! A drive over the Gardena Pass or the Sella Pass is simply amazing. Actually, to get to the Alta Badia, you'd exit the A22 at Klausen/Chiusa and drive through the Val Gardena and then over the Gardena Pass into Alta Badia.

If you choose Ortisei (or anywhere in the Val Gardena), the Mont Seuc (Seiser Alm) cable car starts running May 21. If that doesn't work for you, drive a pass or two. We stayed at the Garni Ariston in the village of St. Christina in the Val Gardena.

www.garniariston.com

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/index.html

Paul

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

Just wondering, what do you mean it's not in the Dolomites? Alleghe is right in the middle of the central valley of the Dolomites! (The Cordevole valley)

Anyway, in the same valley, south of Alleghe, you'll find Agordo, which is the central town for the area. I expect that will be lively enough (but no way near as touristic as Ortisei of course), and the whole surrroundings is amazing. (I remember the little road from Taibon into the Pale di San Martino, or the one from Listolade up to Rifugio Vazzoler, for example)

Edited: 5:02 pm, May 05, 2011
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

Sorry, there's no edit button on my above post, somehow. I wanted to say "or Pieve di Cadore", a charming small town in a great scenery, with a lot of beautiful small hamlets all around it.

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

Thanks for all of the responses. We ended up staying at a mountain resort called Vigilius in the Lana area. We really loved the resort and enjoyed the opportunity to hike in the area and take in the breathtaking scenery.

We also visited the Gardens of Trautmansdorff in the nearby town of Merano, which was touristy but beautiful. Although we didn't have time to drive to the other areas mentioned in the post, I thought the drive on the Brenner Pass was a lot of fun -- curvy but not many tight turns to induce car sickness for any passengers in the car.

www.vigilius.it/en/the-vigilius/12-0.html

trauttmansdorff.it/Visitor_Information.html

6. Re: Where to stay while driving through the Dolomites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 26, 2012