We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any snow in April?

Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any snow in April?

Hi,

Just wondering if there's any possibility of skiing in the Dolmites in April? Can anyone help?

If not Italy can anyone reccommend anywhere to ski in April?

Thanks

venice
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any snow in April?

Yes, it's possible to ski in the Dolomites in April.

Many ski lifts work in Cortina d'Ampezzo and Plan de Corones.

Find info on www.dolomitisuperski.com

Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any snow in April?

The official season in the Dolomiti Superski area this year goes from 3rd December to 10th April. However it goes with the clause: "SNOW CONDITIONS PERMITTING". The 2005-2006 season is schedule to end a week later than last year not because of optimistic weather forecast - after all who can predict weather that far ahead - but because of a later Easter in 2006.

In the last season (2004-2005) the last snowfall was around 22nd, 23th March and brief. Towards the end of the season skiable areas were becoming restricted and some lifts were forced to close as a result. Although Sella Ronda has just in fact been awarded "Best Snow-making Operation in Europe" by the annual guide "Where do Ski and Snowboard 2006" (still pondering whether this is something to celebrate about or otherwise..), there's a limitation what snow-making cannons can do.

If you are after good skiable snow, try and go earlier, or go somewhere else.

knutsford
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any snow in April?

I was in MADONNA in Easter 05,it is the St Moritz of Italy - You would be very ill advised to book for Easter as the snow is unpredictable late on at best if you can wait and book 2 weeks before then it is fantasic ,the snow was like porridge in the afternoon with not enough cover lower down- the Alpen Suite hotel (opened last season) is the best ski hotel I have ever been to apart from chateau Whistler which is different as is huge.

MEG
Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
71 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any snow in April?

In Val Senales (Schnals) and Stelvio (Stilfs)you can enjoy the slopes well into June, but the snow can be far from perfect. I think that it should be nice there in April, anywhere else is rather unpredictable. If you really plan to go after mid-March, I would either book there or go to Austria.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any snow in April?

does anyone know about visiting the dolomites in mid november? everything seems closed and it just looks so beautiful I would like to get up there.

any suggestions would be great.