We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport options

ios
5 posts
Save Topic
Transport options

Looking at staying in a villa on Long Island, we don't drive and would want to explore the island by bicycle, how practical is this? Also, are taxis reasonable for an evening out to a restaurant? And finally, are there good supermarkets and/or local shops? Would love to know if there is a good bakery for instance. Any help appreciated.

rpdwyer
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport options

The island is 80 miles long with some pretty good stretches with little between them. I can't really see you exploring by bicycle much beyond the immediate vicinity of where you are staying. I was down there in January of 2006 to buy land and saw the whole island through realtors. There is really only one central road running the length of the island so if you go sight seeing, you will be traveling on this road. Taxi's... can't really say I saw any except those hired by the hotel to drive people to and from the airport or other excursions. I stayed at the Stella Maris and noticed they had their own driving staff to take guest to different planned events throughout the island. I was told that I could rent a car if I wanted (did not need too though). Regarding bakeries and shops... the island is very sparse and therefore very tranquil. Perhaps some of the locals of the area could give you more info, but the shops were few in number from what I saw. Where I stayed, there was nothing within walking or bike riding distance outside of resort activities. Where are you staying? In all likelihood, it will be the resort that you are staying at that will be the main source of transportation and the means by which you see and enjoy the island.

-Rick

rpdwyer
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport options

The island is 80 miles long with some pretty good stretches with little between them. I can't really see you exploring by bicycle much beyond the immediate vicinity of where you are staying. I was down there in January of 2006 to buy land and saw the whole island through realtors. There is really only one central road running the length of the island so if you go sight seeing, you will be traveling on this road. Taxi's... can't really say I saw any except those hired by the hotel to drive people to and from the airport or other excursions. I stayed at the Stella Maris and noticed they had their own driving staff to take guest to different planned events throughout the island. I was told that I could rent a car if I wanted (did not need too though). Regarding bakeries and shops... the island is very sparse and therefore very tranquil. Perhaps some of the locals of the area could give you more info, but the shops were few in number from what I saw. Where I stayed, there was nothing within walking or bike riding distance outside of resort activities. Where are you staying? In all likelihood, it will be the resort that you are staying at that will be the main source of transportation and the means by which you see and enjoy the island.

-Rick

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport options

The best choice for accomodation and activities is Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort. They offer bikes to their guests at no charge and it is about a 20 ride into the community. The resort has by far the best beach on the island and one of the best beaches in the Bahamas. The resort is very modern and they offer both beach front bungalows and luxury Villas right on the beach. Most guests find that everything they want is right at the resort. The resort bakes their own bread and the meals are made from scratch so you should not be disappointed. Good luck.

4. Re: Transport options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, August 26, 2009