We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Best location to stay?

I think I have discovered my next Vacation! I have been reading about Long Island and it sounds perfect.

Our ideal vacation is driving around a safe island where we can explore and stop to snorkel from beautiful deserted beaches.

Our ideal lodging is a stand alone, simple , clean beachfront cottage where we can snorkel from shore when we are relaxing from the exploring!

There seems to be several one bedroom options on VRBO. Does anyone have a specific cottage to recommend or a prime location? I'm thinking we would want to be in the middle of the island for easy access to exploring both directions? Or will prime snorkeling be in one area?

Would appreciate this info and any advice for first time visitor!

Thanks!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best location to stay?

Jungledriver, thanks for the cottage suggestions. Do you have a preference? The others at that same bargain price are the Bahamian Village. Any info on those? If we can't have snorkeling at cottage other priorities would be beach, view, privacy, all the things everyone wants. Lol. I would appreciate your ideas. Thanks!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best location to stay?

What time of year are you going?

We stopped by the Bahamian Village when we were there in November. We didn't go look around as someone was staying in 1 of the cottages. I think there are just 2 or 3 at the most. There was a little lunch spot there as well but it's not functioning now. If no one else is staying in the other cottages it would be VERY private here. The beach is not great, a bit rocky and I don't think there's much in the way of snorkeling either. Most of the snorkeling will be on the other side of the island (windward side). We usually drive to our snorkeling spots. We like sunset beach/Whymms/Wemyss (not sure why so many names, ha ha) b/c we have become friends with the owner of the cottage we rent and some of the other expats that live nearby. They have a great community here. The beach is about 2 miles long and crescent shaped, easy for walking. It's not totally private though but we don't mind as we like to socialize with the neighbors. The place in Pettys where we stayed has awesome views but no beach really. It would also be private unless the other cottage is rented. It's listed as Sea Grapes on vrbo.com. Super affordable and it has a pool and the option to rent a jeep with it. There is a place called "the aquarium" nearby that has eluded us on all 3 trips. If you can find someone to give you good directions I bet you'd have a ball snorkeling there but as with all spots on the windward side, it would have to be a calm day.

The other snorkel spots we love are Columbus Monument, Stella Maris tide pools, Deans Blue Hole and Bonacorde. There are usually turtles in the harbor in Clarence Town too. If the dive boat is going out (Stella Maris water sports) you can ask if you can join them for a snorkel for a small fee. We always spend a half day with Presley Pinder in his boat. He's very affordable. We also rent our car from him too.

Spots we'd like to hit on a calm day are Poseidon Point and Coral Gardens. Both of these are in the north.

We are going back in July if things go our way. We absolutely love Long Island.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best location to stay?

A bit more cottage help please!

I was ready to book Whymisical Wish but then realized it doesn't list air/c which is something we have to have. I have emailed the owner to clarify.

.I haven't been able to locate Sea Grapes, maybe it is listed under a new name? Palmridge is now on my list and I am trying to locate info/reviews for Aqua Terracotta Cottage, C Shells, Blue Cottage and Bahamian Mood. Bahamian Village has some bad reviews so I have crossed that off my list.

Thanks for any advice!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best location to stay?

Whymmsical Wish definitely has a/c. They are wall units but they work very well, plus ceiling fans. We hardly needed it though as the cottage is made of steel panels and very well insulated. The ceilings are very tall too so good air circulation.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best location to stay?

Here is the rental number on homeaway: > Long Island Rental 232876vb

They are very basic cottages but fine for a place just to rest your head. When we were there in November we spoke with Sharon's sister who said she was in Nassau for medical treatment so i hope she is back on island and doing well. I you can't reach her try to get in touch with her sister. They run the sunshine market in Hamiltons.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best location to stay?

Great news on Whymsical Wish air. I panicked. :) Thanks.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
162 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best location to stay?

Thank you Ann and Jungledriver! I booked Whymisical Wish for 8 nights in June! I appreciate your help!!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best location to stay?

Yahoooooo- have a great time.... We absolutely love the out islands. I can't wait to hear about your trip- please let us know if you enjoy your time there. Trip reports are very helpful to the rest of us. Happy travels!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best location to stay?

Sweet! I hope you love it. George will treat ya right!

20. Re: Best location to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2015