We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best location to stay?

I think I have discovered my next Vacation! I have been reading about Long Island and it sounds perfect.

Our ideal vacation is driving around a safe island where we can explore and stop to snorkel from beautiful deserted beaches.

Our ideal lodging is a stand alone, simple , clean beachfront cottage where we can snorkel from shore when we are relaxing from the exploring!

There seems to be several one bedroom options on VRBO. Does anyone have a specific cottage to recommend or a prime location? I'm thinking we would want to be in the middle of the island for easy access to exploring both directions? Or will prime snorkeling be in one area?

Would appreciate this info and any advice for first time visitor!

Thanks!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location to stay?

We stayed in Petty's on our first trip which is central and found ourselves travelling north more often that south so now we stay in the Whymm's/Weymiss area. It's still easy to hit sites like Dean's Blue Hole and Clarence Town etc when we want but we do spend more time in the north so it suits us.

The southern part of the island past Clarence Town is very rural. There are nice beaches but not alot of snorkeling as far as we've found.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location to stay?

Oh wow- you two already found each other- yahooooooo!!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location to stay?

tdelano and jungledriver- I sent you both a message before i ever read this - sorry!!!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location to stay?

Dynmobile- I'm sorry I don't know how to access a message from you?

Jungledriver - You recommend a central to north location? Could you recommend any budget rental cottages? Preferably on a beach with snorkeling?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location to stay?

Jungledriver - You recommend a central to north location? Could you recommend any budget rental cottages? Preferably on a beach with snorkeling?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location to stay?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location to stay?

tdelano- they have changed it some but I think if you will go to the very top of the page next to your name there is a symbol pointing down, like just the top of an arrow. Click on that and on the drop down one of the options is "messages". Click on that and it will take you to any private messages you have. Let me know if it does not work and you need clarification!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location to stay?

PS The DnAMobile is "DavidandAnn in Mobile (the name of our small city)"- my husband picked the log on years and years ago- hmmmmmm.... I guess I should change it but it stuck.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location to stay?

Ann thank you so much! I just looked up the cottage you recommended on the other site. It looks really nice and CHEAP! The only thing it doesn't mention is snorkeling on property but of course I am willing to compromise! I found another cottage group that is really colorful (I need to try to find them again) that were also $125 a nite but looked really close together. I think I can make LI work in my budget, or pretty close. Every single time I plan a trip I always look at Mexico due to the snorkeling and the lower cost but my heart really longs for another out island visit!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location to stay?

Hi tdelano, the place we always stay at is Whymmsical Wish. It's also $125 a night. You can find a wide variety of rental prices on Long Island. Another one is the Cottage at Palmirage. They are both on what some people call sunset beach or Wemyss Bight. There's not a ton of snorkeling close in but you can walk out in the shallows forever. Plus you'll see stingrays and crabs. Out in the grassy areas there are more fish like angels and such but not much coral. The sunsets are spectacular here though.

I'm not on Fodor's so if you have any particular rentals you're looking at let us know. Is the colorful one called the Bahamian Village?