We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book flight?

PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book flight?

I'm planning an anniversary trip for DH and I. We're hoping to get away the first week of November and we still haven't decided exactly where we want to go, but Long Island is definitely at the top of our list.

I've been checking airfare and I can't find anything less than $6-700 each. We'll be flying out of Philly or Baltimore. Is this typical airfare? Any chance it will come down if we wait? We've flown to the caribbean before and I know costs for everything have risen, but this is quite a bit more than what we've paid before.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book flight?

Is that price for the whole trip? Or just to Nassau? Airfare from Nassau to Long Island is about $200 pp, round trip. Flights from Charlotte to Nassau have been in the $400 range lately so $600 per person is not unusual, although I feel that airfare from CLT is inflated. Isn't Baltimore an Air Tran hub? If so try searching a mid week flight on Airtran to Nassau. Then take Southern Air from NAS to either Stella Maris or Deadman's Cay airport.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Long Island
Long Island
84 Reviews
Long Island
Charlotte
Charlotte
North Carolina
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book flight?

That's just to Nassau, so then iti would be an extra $200 pp to get to LI! I'll check mid week as you suggested from BWI and see if I can fin anything more reasonable. I noticed Southwest hasn't released their rates yet . . . wondering if they'll be any better.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book flight?

Wow, that is high! Definitely shop around. I noticed Air Tran hasn't released rates for November either.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
6,896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book flight?

The key to getting the cheapest seats on a flight is to book early. When I flew to Nassau, I used to make my reservations 11 months ahead. At that time the cheapest seats were available. On each flight there is a limited number of lowest cost seats. Over the next 11 months, I rarely found more seats on the same flight for a lower cost and even then, only a few dollars less.

Booking 6 months ahead, you most likely will never find lower cost seats since they've already been sold.Philadelphia flights to Nassau are usually always priced higher since there is more competition among the carriers out of Newark. That's why I always fly out of Newark even though I live closer to Philadelphia.

Mentioned in this post
Nassau
Nassau
New Providence Island
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
PA
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to book flight?

Yea junglediver - I checked Airtran and saw they haven't released rates yet either. Here's to hoping either they or Southwest have some decent prices!

6. Re: Best time to book flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2014