We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Island vs Eleuthera

Ontario
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Long Island vs Eleuthera

Trying to decide between returning to Eleuthera or trying Long Island. Loved the beautiful beaches and peacefulness of Eleuthera. I'm guessing Long Island is similar. Any thoughts or opinions from people who have visited both places would be appreciated.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

we've been to Eleuthera 3 times and Long Island once. We're going back to Long Island this summer and can't wait. We always thought Eleuthera was our favorite (we honeymooned there) but the more we think about Long Island.... Ah, I don't know. I'm sure it will be determined once we get back to LI. We absolutely loved the snorkeling and the people are even friendlier. There's ample places to eat and shop. There's historical ruins, caves, a museum, the deepest blue hole in the world (featured recently on CBS). I could go on and on. Long Island is a bit more rustic but still with a charming Bahamian polish. We are really looking forward to our visit this summer.

Ontario
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

Thanks for the info. Are the beaches on par with Eleuthera? We really enjoyed exploring the different beaches of Eleuthera.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

In some ways, the Long Island beaches are more spectacular. Partly becuase of the terrain, I think. Some very dramatic topography and lots of coves and places to explore.

There have been posts asking this very same question, so have a look at them, as they will also give you some more details.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147414-i129-k4765…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147423-i671-k1757…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g148424-i1267-k415…

While I have spent a lot of time on Eleuthera and my family are from there originally, I am very much more a Long Islander at heart -- in fact, our Eleuthera ancestors moved to Long Island and liked it better even then! I have a home there too, but do go to Eleuthera once or twice a year. Eihter way, you really can't go far wrong!

ny
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

Love both. Very similar islands with LI being a bit less developed. Beaches I would say are similar too. The roads we found to be slightly better on LI. The restaurants are better on Eleu.

Long Island City...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

if you had to purchase land would you chose LI or elethera? What do you think of cool breeze subdivision in eleuthra?

ny
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

We actually looked at properties on both islands and ultimately chose LI. We found beachfront land prices to be generally cheaper on LI as compared to Eleu. We also liked the LI vibe, the availability of good contractors, the people.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

nagm echoes our feelings exactly. Long Island has proved to be a great place to live.

8. Re: Long Island vs Eleuthera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Long Island
Recent Conversations