We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape santa maria or stella maris

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
cape santa maria or stella maris

my husband and i have been trying to plan a great secluded beach trip...and i have happened upon long island

after much research i'm looking at cape santa maria and stella maris as two lodging options

it sounds like cape santa maria has the best beach...but is it way off on it's own away from everything else (restaurants, etc) ?

stella maris looked a little more rustic from the website but the prices are about the same as cape santa maria so i'm wondering which is better...?

or - is there a great renal home/villa that we should consider?

we are looking for a beautiful, quiet, beachy, relaxing vacation and we want to stay somewhere nice but if we can get a good deal we'll be happy

any advice?

:)

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cape santa maria or stella maris

I have seen it but we have our eye on a place called whymmsical wish . I emailed the owner and he responded very quickly. He and his wife live there year round.

Arlington...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: cape santa maria or stella maris

Just stayed for two weeks in the On-A-Whymm and it is absolutely beautiful! Even better than the pictures let you to hope for. Very quiet and relaxing place. Every detail has been thought of and we had absolutely fabulous time. The owner is so nice and takes care of anything you need. You need a car to get around, but the villa is in a nice location so you can head easily to north or south. Airport is 15min drive away to north and a grocery store 15 min to south.

I can truly recommend On-A-Whymm! Just a paradise!

ny
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cape santa maria or stella maris

I have not seen the inside of the property but have seen it from the outside and it looks beautiful and well maintained. Its been a few years since we were at LI. The beach is spectacular...very shallow especially when the tide is out. The color of the water is unreal. The location is also good - nearl salt pond/central part of the island.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cape santa maria or stella maris

On-a-Whymm is a beautiful high-class property, definately luxury all the way. Pool and Boat are definately great perks too with this home! Whymmsical Wish is a bit more casual, same great beach, no pool or boat, great owners! You might also look at Sunset Beach Villas, again same beach, newer construction, car available. If it's only 2 of you, and looking for more of a bargain, the Cottage at Palmirage is a short walk up the access road, and enjoys the same beach access, for a lesser rate as it's not ON the beach. But it's cute and comfy and private. Slipstream is adorable, but 20 years old, and in the process of being upgraded, I'd wait till it was redone (there have been reports of leaks, outlets not working, etc) but that should be taken care of this year. The Cape is great, restaurant is pricy and ok. Stella Maris has more going on, and has 2 satellite beaches you can be shuttled to on the leeward side of the island, so you can enjoy both wind, wave, and calm lapping waters!

Either way, get a car! The island is 80 mi long and has an amazing amout of things to see! And as Preeb says, don't miss out on the beaches up south, Galloway is my favorite, but they are all gorgeous and you are unlikely to see another soul while you are at any of them!

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: cape santa maria or stella maris

Thanks everyone for the great responses!!!! We are booked for early May and cannot wait!!!! It's so wonderful to have this resource :)

16. Re: cape santa maria or stella maris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, May 12, 2013