We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mailboat from Nassau?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mailboat from Nassau?

Has anyone traveled with their family on the Island Link Mailboat from Nassau to Salt Pond, Long Island? If so, what was the experience like, was it hard to book/find, did you sleep onboard, etc.?

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mailboat from Nassau?

Island Link is not a sleep-aboard boat. It is a pretty miserable ro/ro type boat with a small interior cabin with seats and an exposed upper deck wtih more plastic seats. It is a long trip and really not for traveling with families. I do not recommend this boat as transportation other than freight.

Why not fly? It is easy enough and takes around 45 minutes. Costwise, it runs around $220 round trip for adults and a bit less for children.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mailboat from Nassau?

My parents traveled on the mailboat once to visit here on Long Island. They said it wasn't horrible. There are accommodations, though not many. Few foreigners use the mailboat, but Islanders do a fair amount. The trip is 12-18 hours depending on seas and tides, and mostly at night, so to use the mailboat as a method to see other islands doesn't work out (although IF it were to be a smooth, clear night, the star gazing would be amazing!!) The cost has risen with the price of fuel, so it is not as great a savings as it has been in the past. But there is unlimited luggage weight if it fits in your room!

Take a plane, BahamasAir is $100 each way!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mailboat from Nassau?

Martinimaker, I know the boat you are referring to, but unfortunately, that is not the one that goes to Salt Pond any longer. That boat did have a few cabins and was even fairly comfortable, but the current vessel, the Island Link has NO accomodations and really isn't feasible to take on vacation with a family unless that is your only means of travel or you are deathly afraid of flying.

bahamas
Level Contributor
279 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mailboat from Nassau?

Dusty - traveller: Oops you're right! Thought they visited fewer years ago than they did! Although some locals still travel on the boat, I don't think I made it sound too attractive! Thanks for the feedback - where are you located?

5. Re: Mailboat from Nassau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, May 03, 2013