We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Santa Maria Beach

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Santa Maria Beach

How is the beach depth at CSM.After looking at pictures on Trip Advisor of the amazing beach at CSM it looks narrow in many places. Also is there any right off the shore snorkeling spots at CSm or in Long Island?

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

The beach at the Cape is subject to tidal cycles, and it is likely that pictures of the "narrow" spots you saw were taken at high tide. It's certainly nothing to worry about, and will not have an adverse effect on your enjoyment of the beach.

Swimming at the Cape is sublime; snorkelling is less so given the fact that the wide bay offshore is largely sterile seabed devoid of coral and grasses. You'll likely see the occasional small fish, stingray, or bonefish, but I've never seen much whenever I've gone snorkelling off of the Cape.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

My favorite snorkeling spot is about two miles from Cape Santa Maria at Columbus Point. Absolutely fantastic spot. As far as the beach at CSM it just depends on the tide but there is PLENTY of beach plus you can walk about a mile on the beach from the resort.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

Thanks for the responses. We will go for 4 or 5 days for relaxation and may rent a car for 1 day to explore but if it takes 3-4 hours each way to the southen part of LI that does not sound relaxing. Is it worth seeing? IS there anything in the north half of the island beside Columbus Point and Stella worth seeing or doing. I was told by someone that the interior of L. Island is the most beautiful among the flat scrubby Bahama islands.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

It may be worth the trip to go down to Clarence Town and Dean's Blue Hole but really the Cape, Columbus Point and Stella Maris are all you really need! A rental car is a good idea though that way you don't feel trapped -- and you can drive over to Columbus Point for some privacy and snorkeling. Stella Maris has a new bar overlooking the ocean that is a cool spot for a drink and I think you can get burgers there. You'll love CSM Resort, it is the most romantic spot on earth. We usually rent a house out on the Cape but frequent CSM Resort OFTEN while we are there. Enjoy!

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

We all know that beauty's in the eye of the beholder, beachman110, but few would deny that, with the possible exception of Cat Island, Long Island has the most interesting and varied topography of the larger Bahamian islands. The eastern half of the island is lined with the remains of an ancient, uplifted ridge of fossilied sand dunes that drop sharply to the coast in some places; in the southern end of the island, the rolling, hilly landscape flattens out, but it's still quite pretty around Clarence Town.

The western coast is mostly flat and, with a few exceptions (Cape Santa Maria and Deal's Beach being two), does not have superior swimming sites.

The interior of the island is covered by Bahamian dry forest ("scrub" or "coppice") that rarely exceeds 5m (about 18-20 feet) in height and is basically impenetrable. While it's very interesting and beautiful, it tends to surprise visitors expecting a lush, rain-drenched paradise choked by exotic vegetation and flowers (which it's not).

If you have a limited time at the Cape, just stay there or make a day trip or two to Stella Maris. You do have to commit an entire day if you want to explore the south end of Long Island, and while there's lots to see on the way, it's not a good plan if you're time-limited. It is a good option if you have a rare rainy day, though.

ny
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

The beach is quite wide. We stayed in bungalow #2 and it was very wide at that end. I am trying to picture it and I think the only spot where one could possibly call it narrow is by the restaurant area (there is a wall with some rocks jutting out). Other than that its quite wide.

The water at the Cape is very clear with no reefs so its not a good spot for snorkelling.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

How is the snorkeling on the Atlantic side of the island? We are staying at Cape Santa Maria Resort June 13 thru the 19th and we are very excited!

California
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

I'm taking the family again, this May... The beach and water is awesome… mosquitoes in the evening are something like out of a horror movie… so plan around your little beastie exposure time.. and DET.. even thou it’s smells, feels and tastes like jet fuel … it will be your best friend…

The best snorkeling is at Columbus point… morning and early afternoon is best … as the out going current is nasty to fight with… suggestion: Rent the guy with the boat that can take you to some spots that are like something out of a Jacques Cousteau film.

And, drop by the local out of the way stores to buy some coconut rum … it is the best … and you can’t get it here… so bring some back…

Also, don’t forget time is meaningless there so if ‘it don’t happen’ live it… i.e., ‘don’t worry, be happy’… Some of the best laughs we’ve had was eveything from the plane departure delayed due to the fuel truck driver ‘doing his thing’ making him two hours late… to the power going off perodiacaly because of storms… But, the storms were a light show to behold…

North Carolina
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

Thanks for all the info. Should i also consider Cat Island before I make a final choice. What kind of animal life is there on Long Island. I know it is a tropical island. Is there iguanas, loose dogs, snakes, etc.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Santa Maria Beach

Haven't seen any iguanas. There are a few dogs, some non-poisonous snakes (only viewed as road kill) and goats - lots of goats. There is quite a variety of colorful birds. You'll see more wildlife under the water than above it.