We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

Denver, Co
13 posts
Save Topic
Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

Is there a boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island? We are not scuba divers, but we do like to snorkle and would love to explore this beautiful island. We are thinking a staying at Cape Santa Maria next June.

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

I'm afraid not. Conception Island is a low, swampy, uninhabited island, and there just isn't any demand for such a service. If you really must visit the island -- keep in mind that it's a National Park, but without any amenities whatsoever -- you should be able to charter a boat through the Cape Santa Maria Club or the Stella Maris Inn. But why not just go to Rum Cay instead? It's a far more choice destination, and it's not as if you'll have to swat away the tourist hordes. Conception Island doesn't even have any really good beaches, if I recall.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
27 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

If you like to snorkle, you will love the island. CSM had a charter, and a group of people, nine as I recall, got together for the snorkle/dive trip to Conception. All loved it and had a great adventure. Several saw blue marlin on the trip and the rays and sharks were beautiful..

Hope this helps.

Denver, Co
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

Thanks for the input. I would be happy to go to Rum Cay; however, from all the pictures I've seen and things I've read it seemed that Conception Island was a better choice. Do you have any other suggestions for fishing, snorkeling, dining?

Peace River, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

Long Island is still pretty undeveloped and there really aren't many dining choices at the north end of the island. The Cape Santa Maria Club is absolutely gorgeous -- and on the best beach on the island -- but it's completely isolated from the rest of the island, and you'll need a car to explore (bicycles are recommended only if you can go 20k or more on a trip). The few Bahamian villages in the area -- Seymour's, Glintons, Burnt Ground -- don't have much of anything, and the only Bahamian restaurant I can recommend -- "The Blue Chip Club" is in Simms, approx. 20 km to the south. The Stella Maris Inn does, of course, have an (okay) restaurant, and there are is a general store/ gas station in Bunches (my town!) and in Simms. Forget about the more developed southern end of the island -- it's just too far away on the bad roads to make casual exploration fun.

Don't let me put you off of Conception Island -- I'm just surprised, really, that it seems to be a destination now, as (snorkelling aside) it doesn't have anything on it. Rum Cay, to the northeast, is, IMO, the most beautiful island in the entire country, as it's surrounded by a stunning powder beach, has a couple of shipwrecks in shallow water, and has the pretty hamlet of Port Nelson to explore. Maybe I'm just blinded by nostalgia, but I spent many happy days as a youth at the (now defunct, it seems) Rum Cay Club.

5. Re: Boat trip from Long Island to Conception Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Long Island