We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat Island or Long Island?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cat Island or Long Island?

I'm having trouble deciding between Cat Island (Sammy T's) and Long Island (Cape Santa Maria). What we're looking for is a beautiful beach with a sandy bottom, (minimal rocks or seaweed) for strolling, swimming and sunset watching. It would be a plus if there were at least one place outside our hotel for a dinner. Any opinions? I've also posted this on the Cat Island forum. Thanks!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat Island or Long Island?

The beach and water at Cape Santa Maria is exactly what you have described, the sunsets are also incredible there as you are facing west. There are a couple other options for dinner--Stella Maris resort and another restaurant I've heard mentioned here that is not far--can't remember the name (maybe someone else will respond about that one). But I have to say, the restaurant at CSM was excellent and the conch, lobster and varieties of fish always fresh and prepared well. Every afternoon at five during cocktail hour there were complimentary conch fritters-yum! If you go there, you will find it very hard to leave.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat Island or Long Island?

That sounds great - thanks for the info!

SC
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat Island or Long Island?

Long Island, Cape Santa Maria

bahamas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat Island or Long Island?

The Cape Santa Maria!

ny
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat Island or Long Island?

We have been to many islands in the Caribbean (anguilla, turks, BVI, eleuthera, abacos etc). The beach at the Cape is easily one of the top beaches we have seen. You just can't go wrong. Its long (several miles I think), calm, sandy, no rocks, with gorgeous sunsets. The restaurant is nice as well.

6. Re: Cat Island or Long Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Long Island
Recent Conversations